Jam-packed movie release schedule keeps away the winter blahs

Britton Perelman, For The Miami Student

After the stress of finals week is over and you've gone home for the holiday, make sure you take some time to go to the movies. With so many great movies coming to theaters in December, there's something for everyone.

If you haven't had time to catch a movie at the recently re-opened Princess Theatre Uptown, beat the crowds and see a movie that's already been in theaters for a few weeks. Watch Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson fight for their lives again in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," which had the fourth biggest opening weekend of all time. If you're in the mood for something more serious, check out "12 Years a Slave," which is bound to be an Oscar contender come February, or "The Book Thief," based on the beloved bestseller. If you're looking to revisit your childhood and see something more lighthearted, Disney's "Frozen" is a great option. The film, which boasts all new songs reminiscent of the Disney movies we watched as kids, is about a kingdom trapped in eternal winter and a girl who sets off on an epic journey to find her sister. December also brings a slew of new releases, from much-anticipated sequels to those by highly acclaimed directors.

Lord of the Rings fan? Well then "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is a no-brainer. Opening on December 13th, the second in the "Hobbit" trilogy continues the journey of Gandalf, Bilbo and the dwarves as they continue their quest to take back their homeland Erebor from the feared dragon Smaug.

If dwarves and dragons aren't your cup of tea, but you love magic, check out "Saving Mr. Banks," opening on Dec. 13th. This movie, which features an all-star cast that includes Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, is based on the true story of the collaboration between Walt Disney and P.L. Travers, the stubborn author of Mary Poppins.

Maybe you'd rather see something sure to tickle your funny bone, or maybe you just love Will Ferrell. Head to the theater on Dec. 20 and check out "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues," which features the return of Ron Burgundy, San Diego's supposedly top-rated newsman, who, I'm sure, provides more hilarity than actual ground- breaking news.

If you loved director David O. Russell's "Silver Linings Playbook" last year, don't miss "American Hustle," which hits theaters everywhere on Dec. 18. Boasting a star-studded cast that includes Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, and Amy Adams, "American Hustle" tells the story of a brilliant conman and his partner, forced into a world of mafia in New Jersey. Are you a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, or do you love Martin Scorsese's movies? Either way, "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a winner.

Opening on Christmas day, this movie is based on the true story of the rise and eventual fall of stockbroker Jordan Belfort. If you've got some time on your hands, pick up the book before you see the movie.

Last, but not least, the movie I'm personally looking forward to most in December is "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," which opens Christmas day. Directed by and starring Ben Stiller, this film tells the tale of forever daydreamer Walter Mitty, who escapes his seemingly anonymous life to embark on an incredible and life-changing journey when his job is threatened.

Let your hometown theater be an escape from the cold this winter break so many movies to choose from, you're bound to find something worth seeing.