Indian restaurant to open Monday

Oxford is currently in the process of screening businesses to fill the vacant storefronts in establishments such as Stewart Square.

Tad Nedeau & Betsy King

The Oxford restaurant landscape will get extra spice Monday with the opening of Rohan India.

The eatery is owned by Oxford resident Amarender Karra, who also owns Johnny's Deli and U shop. Karra said he is branching out with this new venture in hopes of attracting new customers.

"We're going to have a lot of curries; we'll also have different appetizers and desserts, which will be featured both with our entrees and lunch buffet," Karra said.

While he says he chose the location, 339 Foxfire Dr. across from McDonald's, because of the low rent, he notes that the site also offers adequate parking and seating for 60 people.

The restaurant will be open from 11 a.m. to 2:30 a.m., and so can attract both a dinner crowd and late-night students, according to Karra.

Amar Arrara, who has helped in launching Rohan India, is excited about the possibility of offering a new cuisine to students. He added that the eatery also will serve beer and liquor.

Miami junior Sam Fagelson said the restaurant's arrival will increase competition in Oxford's dining scene.

"If they have a liquor license, then I could see them giving students another option of restaurants to go to that offers relatively inexpensive food and drink specials, such as El Burrito Loco," Fagelson said.

Unlike some other restaurants, Rohan India will not offer delivery, but it will prepare food for carryout.

With entrees averaging $9.99, and the lunch buffet costing $7.99, Karra said he hopes that they can attract crowds with good food and fair prices.

"You can't beat that in Oxford," Karra said.

The restaurant will begin advertising its menu in local media starting next week.

Current efforts to fill many of the vacant storefronts in uptown Oxford and surrounding areas are making progress.

Stewart Square has nearly five vacant storefronts, which have been empty since the building's opening in 2005, according to Pam Lindley, manager of Hotel Development Services, LLC.

Lindley said many potential buyers have expressed interest in occupying these empty spaces, and they will be chosen within a short amount of time. They are waiting to see what type of applicants they receive and will pick the applicants that will be the best for Oxford.

"There have been many interested potential buyers who have approached me with very creative ideas," Lindley said. "However, since several of these groups are still great possibilities, I cannot divulge what their plans are. As the developer, we are still trying to find tenants who will bring something new to Oxford."

However, she did reveal some information regarding what types of stores were expressing interest. Various types of restaurants, such as sub shops, pizza places and bars have approached Lindley, as well as a few retailers. According to Lindley, there are a large number of applicants.

Miami sophomore Elizabeth Ryerson is hopeful that these stores will be filled shortly.

"Uptown Oxford isn't a big area, so any new stores would be an exciting development," Ryerson said. "The sooner they get them filled, the better, because it will open up many new possibilities for students who head up that way during the week and on the weekends."