Incoming class size increases

Hannah Stein, For The Miami Student

(ERIN KILLINGER | The Miami Student)

Miami University admissions looks to increase class sizes each year and begins to consider what next year's first year class will look in comparison to this year's current first year before the May 1 deadline.

The incoming first year class of 2015 has the potential to be larger than others because of the number of applications received this year, said senior associate director of admissions Jen Herman.

"We always drive for an increase of applications," she said. "I also think that's something that naturally happens when you promote your university and your reputation grows out of state."

This year Miami received 18,483 applications as opposed to the 16,908 applications received last year. Miami accepted 13,691 of the applicants rather than the 12,276 applicants accepted last year.

Last year about 27 percent of accepted students enrolled.

"We are not sure what the yield percentage will be yet this year," Herman said. "We (also) were more selective (this year) so our acceptance rate did drop a few points. We reviewed applications the same way, it wasn't just one factor that we were more selective with."

While there were more applications this year, the applicants have come from fewer states than last year.

"This year we have 47 states plus (Washington) DC, missing Oklahoma, Mississippi and Montana," Herman said. "Last year we had 49 states plus DC (only) missing South Dakota." Students are recruited in multiple ways and are regularly reviewed based on what works best, despite the loss of three states.

"All of these items are approached strategically and reviewed often to see where changes need to be made," Herman said. "We employ many different methods of student recruitment … some of these recruitment activities start as early as a student's freshman year in high school."

Despite the techniques used by admissions to recruit students, Herman says there is no single reason why the number of applicants increased.

With the potential to be a larger class than in previous years, students feel it could take away from the individual attention that is given to each student by professors.

"In a few of my lecture classes this year, I always felt overwhelmed and intimidated," first-year Heather Keith said. "I didn't ask any questions, which I think hindered my learning. So if anything, I think classes should get smaller."

However, while some students think admissions should be decreasing class sizes, others believe they should do just the opposite.