Ice hockey to face 1st challenge

Mike Zoller

Off to its best start in team history, the Miami University ice hockey team is red hot. Seemingly untouchable, the RedHawks have been scorching their competition in just about every game. They haven't allowed more than two goals in a game and their offense hasn't missed a beat-even without last year's team leader in points, Nathan Davis, who is still recovering from an injury.

While Miami's eight straight wins are extremely impressive, they've come against less than stellar teams. Yes, the University of Vermont and Ohio State University were nationally ranked when the 'Hawks played them, however, both have since dropped out of both the national polls and are barely receiving votes to get back amongst the nation's best teams.

This weekend when the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish bring their CCHA Championship into Steve Cady Ice Arena, the RedHawks will finally be tested. In the past two seasons, Miami has a 1-1-2 record against the Irish. Last season the Irish were spectacular at just about every aspect of the game. However, when Notre Dame makes its first visit to the new Goggin, the team will be without star goaltender David Brown, who graduated last year.

The Irish will come into Oxford ranked No. 12 in the nation and will have their eyes set on upsetting the No. 1 team in the nation at home. Make no mistake; this is far and away the best team Miami has faced this season. Notre Dame is a physical, rough hockey team, which is known for its scrappy play and hard hitters. For the first time, Miami's own hard hitters Kevin Roeder and Vincent LoVerde will have to keep their heads on a swivel as Notre Dame will definitely be looking to send a message early to the rest of the RedHawks.

Unfortunately for the RedHawks, it doesn't get easier after Notre Dame. Win or lose this weekend, the 'Hawks will have to travel to East Lansing, Mich. Nov. 15-16 to meet the Michigan State University Spartans-the defending national champions. Miami has recorded a record of just 1-3-0 over the last two years against the Spartans and the last time the RedHawks were swept in a regular season two-game series was Feb. 17-18, 2006 at Michigan State. Currently the Spartans boast a No. 3 ranking in the USA Today hockey poll and a No. 4 ranking in the USCHO.com poll.

These next four games for the RedHawks will give fans a chance to see the ice hockey team against some of the premiere talent in the nation. Miami has not faired well against its next two opponents, however, the RedHawks have never had a team quite like the one they have this year.

And perhaps I have seemed a bit too pessimistic in my thinking. Maybe this is the test Miami has needed. As the top team in the nation, the RedHawks need to be able to go into a hostile environment like Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing and prove that they deserve to be the No. 1 team in the nation.

While Head Coach Enrico Blasi and the rest of the team will tell you that this weekend's games are just like any other. For the first time all year, the eyes of the college ice hockey nation will be on Oxford, Ohio to see just how the RedHawks respond to their first real challenge.

These next four games could very well determine the tone for the rest of the season for the 'Hawks. They are far and away the toughest games for Miami-that is until the University of Michigan arrives Feb. 8-9.