Huzzah! Medieval ain't dead, yo

Anna Turner

If thou be not familiar with the Society of Anachronism (SCA), prithee make haste! The SCA is an international organization of kind sirs and gentle ladies that brings to life the middle ages in this modern day.

Ye olde SCA first saw daylight in the days of yore in Berkley, Calif., during the rule of the most honorable King Lyndon B. Johnson (1966) as a humble yet recreational proceeding. From whence, a new realm was birthed, huzzah!

Divided into kingdoms is the SCA, and these kingdoms are further divided into regions and baronies. This fine university doth be in the barony of the Flaming Gryphon in the Region of Oaken in the most noble Middle Kingdom, with the fine collection of liegemen and women in the SCA partaking in the order named The Marche of The Unicorn. Thirty-two seasons of harvest hast passed sith The Marche of The Unicorn 'twas founded, huzzah!

The first act upon entering the SCA ist the election of thine new name. Every member must choose a new name, even the scullery maids of ye olde tavern. Upon electing an SCA nominal identity, the lad or lass declares a craft they wish to practice.

Lady Elizabethe of the Marche of the Unicorn (whose real name be-eth Ashley Smith, an alumna of Miami University) doth say, "If it was done in the middle ages and is not illegal, then you'll find someone in the SCA who does it."

The crafts be such large numbers, one becomes dozy at the very thought, huzzah!

The kindred spirits of the Marche of The Unicorn be-eth craftsmen and women in myriad manners, including costuming, illuminated manuscript and creating of jewelry. These crafts of which are spoken hath origins in times medieval.

"Usually the time periods represented are late Roman Empire, Byzantium, some people do Viking stuff, pretty much anything pre-1600s," said fair maiden Courtney Bairas, a wench of junior age, with the thirst for knowledge of history of art and architecture, huzzah!

Perhaps the greatest honors granted to members doth be awards of peerage. The Laurel shalt be bequeathed to one who achieves high performance in the area of arts and sciences. The Pelican shalt be bequeathed to one whom dedication to service displays. Finally, there is knighting, a ceremony in which it is declared that the one being knighted and beaten brutally with the king's sword shall never have to take another blow unanswered. Lords and ladies of the SCA elect those worthy of peerage awards depending upon the sir or madame of which best peer qualities doth possess, huzzah!

But what bringeth one to the SCA?

"You join because you're interested in medieval history and you stay for the people," Lady Elizabethe said. "We're one big dysfunctional family."

Well put, milady, well put. History of the medieval sort ist full of combattal, a practice to this day of which be-eth popular to SCA members and non-members the same, huzzah!

Young Nate Holstein, a spritely youth from the shire of Shaker Heights, Ohio, heard word of SCA's combattal from a gypsy passing through his village.

"I have a friend who told me she saw some people fighting in here one time, so I wanted to come check it out," Holstein said.

Holstein abandoned his plow at the farm of his forefathers and traveled far and wide, arriving at Lower Alexander Dining Hall to discover an epic battle taking place, the sort of battle one only hears of in fairy tale scrolls, huzzah!

Michael Weber of the hills of Steubenville, Ohio, 'twas but a lost soul not many moons ago. Across he stumbled the Marche of The Unicorn and, similar to young Master Holstein, found himself drawn to combat.

"I love the fact that you can dress up in armor and go out and fight someone like in medieval days," Weber said. "Most everyone makes their own armor and weaponry."

Be not afeared for the weaponry ist nothing more than a farce and cause trueth danger it cannot, huzzah!

Whether thee be interested in combat or arts and sciences or simply be curious of medieval times, with open arms doth the Marche of The Unicorn greet you. This grand counsel gathers twice a fortnight at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday eve. I now bid thee good morrow and if you do not think the SCA is awesome, a pox upon both you and your kinsmen!

HUZZAH!