Hundreds counter-protest WBC; picket passes without incident

Students react peacefully to the WBC picket by giving out free hugs on Central Quad.

Sam Kay, Editor in Chief

Students react peacefully to the WBC picket by giving out free hugs on Central Quad. (JULIA ENGELBRECHT | THE MIAMI STUDENT)

Hundreds of students gathered on Central Quad and at the corner of Maple and Spring streets during a visit from four members of the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) from 4:15 to 4:45 Tuesday.

The crowds at Shriver and on Central Quad ebbed and flowed from 4 p.m. onward, but the largest group gathered near the Shriver Center.

The 600-700 person strong crowd congregated at the corner of Maple and Spring Streets outside of the Shriver Center chanted slogans at the WBC members, repeatedly shouting "USA! USA! USA!"

WBC members were sequestered behind metal barricades. Miami University Police directed vehicular and pedestrian traffic and kept crowds from spilling into the street.

Some onlookers toted their own signs, bearing messages such as "God hates figs," "Hate is not in Miami's curriculum," "God hates kittens," "Yays for gays," "Honk for love," "No signs allowed," "Haters gunna hate" and various passages from the Bible.

About a dozen motorcyclists bearing American and POW/MIA flags rode up and down Spring Street, parked and joined the counter-protestors with flags in hand.

As the WBC members left, onlookers followed them to their van, singing "Hey, hey, goodbye," by Steam, and making farewell gestures.

At the Unite Miami rally on Central Quad, Luke Williams, one of the lead organizers, welcomed the crowd and then introduced Student Body President Nick Huber, who said about 1,200 people had signed the "We've Got Your Back" pledge organized by Associated Student Government.

Williams said he was pleased with the turnout at the Unite Miami Rally.

"I am very happy, we keep getting more and more people," Williams said. "We're coming together as a community and having a really good time doing it."

Senior James Trotier came to Shriver see what would happen.

"Overall, I feel proud of the students uniting, even if it's at a protest," Trotier said. "It makes me feel good that students all think these people are crazy … I also thought it was really cool that [the bikers] came to support the students."

Taylor Dolven and Felicia Jordan contributed reporting