Hospital hires new administrator

Allison McGillivray, For the Miami Student

John R. Clements, a Kentucky native and former Cincinnati resident, will take the positions of Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Vice President at McCullough Hyde Memorial Hospital April 18, according to Clements.

Clements said he comes from Muhlenberg Community Hospital in Greenville Kentucky. His educational background includes a bachelor's degree in business administration and accounting from Eastern Kentucky University and a master's degree in business administration and finance at Xavier University.

Since then, Clements has worked at several hospitals.

"I've had 15 year tenure at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center and my final title was vice president of finance," Clements said. "Then I moved to Valparaiso, Ind., and was Chief Financial Officer at Porter Memorial Hospital for two years and then moved to Kershaw County Medical Center in Camden, S.C., for a year as Chief Financial Officer. Then I came here to Muhlenberg Community Hospital in Greenville Kent. I have been here almost seven years."

Clements said this experience has prepared him for the difficult task of juggling both the CFO and Vice President positions.

"I think it's what I have done for the last 10-11 years; serve on the senior team as well as run the finances of the hospital," Clements said.

Clements said he does not yet know what his goals are for McCullough Hyde, but he is hopeful his experience will help him figure out what is the best plan of action.

"I do not have a lot of preconceived plans," Clements said. "My objective is to get in and figure out what's going on and formulate my plans within the first few months and then go from there."

Clements said he was hired for a number of reasons.

"The reason they hired me is because I have extensive experience and I have worked for hospitals large and small during good times and bad times and so I should be able to deal with whatever is going on there," Clements said.

Whatever Clements' plans are, they are likely to affect Miami University and the Oxford community.

"A lot of the kids that McCullough Hyde deals with are Miami students," sophomore Courtney Phillips said.

Phillips and fellow sophomore Hannah Fletcher are Miami students who volunteer at McCullough Hyde.

"McCullough Hyde is the only hospital in Oxford," Phillips said. "It's a place that everyone can feel safe beside the health center in Miami and they don't do anything serious. I hear that a lot of people come from pretty far away to use the hospital because they like the environment."

Similarly, Fletcher supports the efforts of the hospital.

"I think a lot of students take it for granted," Fletcher said. "It serves the community well."

Clements has been hired without a contract and said he hopes to be at McCullough Hyde for many years to come and is excited to move back to Ohio.

"It's a great move for me," Clements said. "I wouldn't have just taken any job. We are less than an hour away from our daughters and grandchildren in Covington and Alexandria, Kent., and also less than an hour away from my wife's family in Miamisburg, Ohio."