Horror flicks for the spooky enthusiast

Joe Gieringer, For The Miami Student

It's October, which means horror movies are beginning to creep into theaters. If you enjoy a good scare, then you're in luck - there's a fresh crop of freaky flicks that are coming out in the upcoming weeks.

Sinister - Oct. 12

A found-footage type of movie that employs traditional cinematography as well, Sinister tells the terrifying story of Ellison (Ethan Hawke) and his family, who find a set of homemade films that chronicle the grisly murders of several families in his new house. As he begins to unravel the mysteries of these gruesome tapes, Ellison's own family is in danger of becoming the next victims of the demon Bagul.

With elements of the supernatural and a solid cast, Sinister has the potential to be deeply disturbing - and with an 82 percent fresh rating from film reviewing website Rotten Tomatoes, critics see potential in this fall thriller.

Paranormal Activity 4 - Oct. 19

Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman will return to direct the latest installment in the wildly popular series, but other than that, details of Activity has been kept tightly under wraps. The film is set five years after Paranormal Activity 2, and follows the story of Alice, her boyfriend, her mother and her brother, as paranormal activity starts to occur in their home when Katie and Hunter move into the neighborhood.

Though some viewers have grown tired of the series' scare tactics, the formula has proven successful, and the fourth entry will undoubtedly do well in the box office. If you're a fan of the first three, then you'd be crazy to miss this one.

Grave Encounters 2 - Oct. 12

This Canadian-American follow up to 2011's Grave Encounters takes an interesting approach to its story. This entry follows a group of university students led by Alex Wright, who find the compiled footage that makes up the first film and believe it to be real. They investigate the same psychiatric hospital that serves as the first film's setting, and become targets of the hospital's malevolent entities.

Critical opinion was mixed on the original, but so far early reaction to Grave Encounters 2 has been mildly positive.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D - Oct. 26

Based on the survival-horror video game Silent Hill 3 and a sequel to the 2006 film Silent Hill, Silent Hill: Revelation revisits the demented title town. Michael J. Bassett's fifth feature film will follow Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) and her father, Christopher Da Silva (Sean Bean), who have been evading forces of nature they do not fully understand. When Heather is plagued by nightmares of Christopher's disappearance, she discovers her presumed identity and life's origins are false, and is lead to an alternate dimension in Silent Hill. Carrie-Anne Moss and Malcolm McDowell will also star, and it will be interesting to see if Bassett takes Revelation in a different direction than the original, which maintains a 29 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.