Holiday Lights event illuminates Pyramid Hill

By John Claffy, For The Miami Student

Holiday Lights on the Hill, a fundraiser in southwest Ohio, will begin Nov. 21 and continue through January. The event is held by a non profit organization called Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park and Museum.

With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, the event is a hot spot for local Ohio residents looking to enjoy the holiday season. Two years ago, Cincinnati Magazine named Pyramid Hill's Holiday lights as the best in the region.

This year, Pyramid Hill has built a brand new entrance, which has been an ongoing project for over a year. Finally, they are ready to show it off.

Shaun Higgens, Interim Director at Pyrimid Hill, works as a liason between the public and the organization's board of directors.

"The two-mile drive thru illustrates a marriage of arts and nature with lighting effects that glow throughout the gardens, meadows, bushes and illuminate the sculptures around the lake," Higgens said.

The staff made a conscious effort to make sure the lights, sculptures and other decorations were not just in front of the viewer. He wanted to ensure the lights had enough depth to make the display seem to go on forever.

From Nov. 21 through Jan. 4, the lights are on display every day. Visiting days and hours run from Monday through Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. for $20 and Friday through Sunday from 6 to 10 p.m. for $25. With the purchase of a membership to Pyramid Hill, the cost drops to only $15.

"The crew who worked together to bring this project to life began work at the end of September and continued for two full months to live up to the reputation Pyramid Hill has ensured for themselves," Higgens said.

During the winter months, the attendance descends because of the cold weather. With the light display, the park finds a way to raise more money, which will last them until the spring.

With a 335-acre property, filled with meadows, forests, a lake and countless trees, the cost to keep the entire museum and park up and running is tremendous. Due to the lack of visitors during the winter, 15 years ago, Pyramid Hill decided to put on this fundraiser to make sure they can cover the cost for their employees who put their heart and soul into the light display, along with the other major expenses of running the park.

There may be times in Oxford where Uptown seems small with limited options for the students and local citizens to enjoy. Being close to Hamilton's Pyramid Hill provides entertainment for the general public by offering an outdoor museum that pinpoints their focus on monumental pieces of sculpture filled with forests, gardens, and fields of grass.

To go off the idea of doing something different comes another possibility: Higgens, who works very closely with the board of directors, is looking for summer interns and staff to work on a marketing strategy dealing with social media, press releases and overall planning of projects. If at all interested, or have any questions about the position, call (513) 868-8336 and ask for Shaun.