Hodge responds 'not now' to living wage proposal

Michael C. Lengel

In the spring of 2007, members and supporters of campus group Students for Staff (SFS) literally joined hands, shuffling into Roudebush Hall to present Miami University President David Hodge with a letter.

That letter was a formal request for President Hodge's support of a "living wage" policy for Miami staff and employees.

"What I'm trying to do is encourage, not discourage, but encourage you to do the background homework and say: 'Here's what it would look like,' give us some numbers, talk to us about what it would be," Hodge said at the time.

A year later, SFS members have compiled 12 months of 'homework' to churn out a five-point living wage proposal. The proposal suggests the implementation of a minimum hourly salary of $12.45 (not including health benefits) that would be annually indexed with the cost of living, equity wage increases for all those who currently earn more than $12.45, funding that would not come from cuts in workers' benefits or increased tuition, full transparency in implementing the policy and no negative repercussions for workers as a result of the policy.

"We've looked around our community and we've seen people suffering because they can't make enough on their wages to get by," SFS representative Susan Dirr said.

But President Hodge said the proposal is unrealistic.

"This proposal is for a very large amount of money at its lowest level," Hodge told those formally presenting the proposal in a closed-door meeting April 15.

"Your standard is not like anything else locally. You've done a number of things where your comparisons are simply not right," Hodge told SFS members.

SFS was represented at the meeting by Dirr, Miami junior Robert Winslow, philosophy professor Richard Momeyer, client services supervisor for The Family Resource Center, Missy Barger, and Mattie Gray, president of Local 209 (the union representing Miami staff).

"We have to look at those (figures) carefully to make sure we're comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges," Hodge added. "This is a really, really high priority for us, which is why we're making it a priority in the budget."

Though when asked, Hodge said he would not agree to designate a living wage as a fiscal priority nor would he support the proposal SFS presented.

"We (SFS) believe that there shouldn't be an issue of bargaining when it comes to a basic dignified standard of living," Winslow said in response to Hodge's criticism of the numbers and questions of what constitutes a living wage.

Hodge emphasized the need to reconcile these discrepancies to develop a proper solution.

"I take the issue now as one the university needs to wrestle with," Hodge said. "My answer is not 'no'-my answer is 'not now.'"

President Hodge cited incoming Vice President of finance and business services David Creamer as someone with experience in dealing with these issues. He said Creamer will work with Miami staff members to determine their preferences as negotiations get underway, with the current staff contract set to expire in June 2009.