Hodge addresses Miami

Amanda Seitz, Campus Editor

President Hodge makes his Presidental address Thursday evening in Hall Auditorium. (CAROLINE BUCK | The Miami Student)

Miami University President David Hodge's annual address focused on the fate of the university's previously mentioned goals.

The address, delivered on the stage at 4 p.m. Oct. 7 in Hall Auditorium, tackled issues concerning retention rates and enhancing the undergraduate experience.

Hodge said the university could not improve its main goals without elevating its status in rankings.

"It's difficult to talk about getting better without addressing our status in rankings," Hodge said.

Hodge said he would like to further experiences that stimulate critical thinking through high-impact activities.

One way to achieve this, according to Hodge, is to increase global perspectives. Hodge suggested continued commitment to reach a 50 percent study abroad rate on the Oxford campus.

"At the top of our list of high impact activities is study aboard," Hodge said. "Clearly a global perspective is critical to our future success."

Hodge also noted the importance of student research.

"We have very significantly researched the number of students directly involved with a faculty member, staff or a graduate student in research projects," Hodge said. "We need to look at our curriculum through the lens of research."

With these goals in mind, the university will strive to increase the current graduation rate of 83 percent to 85 percent, Hodge said.

Enhancing the advising services Miami offers will be a priority for the university to further develop retention rates.

"Although we've made significant improves in advising in the Oxford campus … student surveys suggest that we are not at the level of peers," Hodge said.

To further assist in the achievement of retention rates, Hodge hopes to encourage budding and influential relationships between students and faculty.

"I ask, do we inadvertently deter that behavior and contribute to students leaving Miami because the penalties for poor performance are too high?" Hodge said.

Hodge said these standards at Miami would be re-evaluated.

Hodge ended his address to a crowd of more than 150 members of the Miami community with a nod to the future.

"The future is uncertain but we must have the confidence to act decisively and purposefully to chart a course that will lead to our future success," Hodge said.