'Hawks swim past foes

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University men's and women's swimming and diving teams rolled this weekend as they downed Cleveland State University and Mid-American Conference (MAC) foe Bowling Green State University.

Against Bowling Green (1-2, 0-2 MAC) Friday, the women's team (3-1, 2-0 MAC) earned victories in 12 of the 16 events and overcame a 22-37 deficit after the third event to reel off its third consecutive victory of the season. Multiple RedHawks placed in nine events during the meet.

"We swam well," women's head coach Mark Davis said. "With midterms and the girls being stressed, we came around and had an improvement in our races. We had some adversity early on, but we took it in stride. It was a good meet. Bowling Green is a tough team."

Senior Nikki Craft was the only player to take first place in multiple meets as she triumphed in the three-meter and five-meter diving events. Fellow seniors Brianna Fujan and Nicole Wagner secured the top spot in the 200-backstroke and the 100-breaststroke, respectively.

"We came out strong," Wagner said. "We did a good job with keeping up the energy and just swam our own race."

The men's team (2-0) also had a strong outing against Cleveland State (1-4, 1-0 Horizon League) in non-conference play, taking the top spot in 11 of 16 events.

Sophomore Evan Bader led the way for the 'Hawks with 31 points, which resulted from wins in the 100 and 200-breaststroke, placing fourth in 200-IM, and a first place finish in the 200-medley, along with senior Dan Nemeth, sophomore Sean Neri and freshman Grant Stafford.

Also picking up wins for the Red and White were Stafford, senior Michael Cavanaugh, senior Sean Minderlein, junior Joe Baumgartner and sophomores Chris Dieter and Michael Nash.

"The team performed well Saturday," men's head coach Pete Lindsay said. "We have tied Cleveland State the last two meets in Oxford and knew that the meet would be tough as CSU won the Horizon League Championship last spring... 10 of 14 swimming races were decided by five tenths of a second or less and four by six one hundredths of a second or less creating a very exciting meet."