'Hawks Sweep Falcons and Former Assistant (From Nov. 19 and 20)

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

With only one win in five games prior to Nov. 19, the Miami University hockey team was in need of a victory. The RedHawks took the ice against former Assistant Coach Chris Bergeron, the new head coach at Bowling Green State University (BGSU), and completed a sweep for the second time this season.

Head Coach Enrico Blasi was content with the effort from his team.

"It's important for us to have everyone going," Blasi said. "They've been playing good, so it's nice to see them get rewarded."

Friday night, the 'Hawks beat the Falcons 4-3, improving their record to 7-0-0 when scoring four goals. Sophomore defenseman Joe Hartman started the scoring for Miami, giving the RedHawks the lead early in the first period. After BGSU tied it up late in the first, the 'Hawks broke loose in the second period, with junior defenseman Will Weber finding the back of the net just 28 seconds into the frame. Weber netted his first goal of the season in just his third game back from injury.

After Weber's goal, sophomore Reilly Smith and senior Pat Cannone each lit the lamp to put the 'Hawks up 4-1. Junior goaltender Cody Reichard was beat twice in the third period, allowing the Falcons to pull within one goal of the 'Hawks with just two seconds remaining on the clock. The Miami net-minder held strong, making 21 saves on the evening and giving his team the victory. Smith had three points on the night, his third three-point outing this season.

"Our power play was just clicking since the start of the weekend," Smith said. "I was getting lucky around the net, getting open nets. It's a good feeling when it all comes together like it did."

Saturday, Smith and Cannone were at it again, helping the RedHawks to a 3-0 win over the Falcons. After a scoreless first, Cannone notched his seventh goal of the season and his second of the weekend to put the 'Hawks up by one. Moments later on the power play, Smith found the back of the net for the 10th time this season. In the third, senior Carter Camper added his 12th tally of the season, putting Miami up three.

Senior Andy Miele contributed four assists on the weekend, bringing his total to a nation-leading 19 helpers on the season. Camper was held without a point Friday night, but added a goal and an assist Saturday, giving him 30 points on the season as he continues to be the points leader around the country. Cannone added two helpers, making Saturday a season-high three-point-game for the senior.

"They played extremely well, they played hard, and competed," Blasi said of his team. "Tonight was probably the best game we've played in a few weeks, so it's nice to see."

Junior goalie Connor Knapp managed his first shutout of the season against the Falcons. Though Knapp only faced nine shots, the lowest number allowed in school history, his saves were crucial.

"I thought everyone was committed to playing good defense tonight," Blasi said. "Connor had a couple big saves. He only had a few to make, but they were big ones, especially in the second."

In other CCHA play, both the University of Notre Dame and the University of Michigan completed sweeps of their own, staying ahead of Miami in the standings after the weekend of Nov. 19 and 20.