'Hawks split with Spartans

Senior Vincent LoVerde takes a shot during the game against Bowling Green State Univeristy at Goggin Ice Center.

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

Senior Vincent LoVerde takes a shot during the game against Bowling Green State Univeristy at Goggin Ice Center. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

For the Miami University ice hockey team, weekend splits have become all too common, leaving The Brotherhood desperate for wins in the remainder of the regular season.

The RedHawks faced off against the Michigan State University (MSU) Spartans in East Lansing, Mich., dropping the first contest 7-4 but rebounding Saturday for a much-needed 4-0 victory.

"I thought we played good (Friday) night," Head Coach Enrico Blasi said. "We didn't get the bounces and we had some critical mistakes, but we did clean up our play with and without the puck, and that was the difference (Saturday)."

Friday night, despite outshooting the Spartans 46-22, the Red and White could not hold off the MSU offense. MSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead early on, leaving the 'Hawks battling back the rest of the way. Miami tied it at two in the second period, but Michigan State tacked on two additional goals in the frame.

With the Spartans up 4-2, Miami pulled netminder Cody Reichard, putting in Connor Knapp for the remainder of the game.

Early in the third period, Miami pulled within one goal of the Spartans, but four minutes later, MSU tallied two more goals, leaving the 'Hawks down 6-3.

Senior Andy Miele added the fourth goal of the night for Miami, and MSU scored an empty-netter late in the game to make the final 7-4.

Saturday, the 'Hawks' lineup looked different from Friday's game, as Blasi wanted to send a message to his team.

"I think it sent a good message with everybody," Blasi said. "The guys now know that they have to be ready or they won't be in the lineup. Hopefully it helps us prepare at a high level." 

Using only three lines and 15 skaters, Miami came together to take the victory that eluded them Friday. In Saturday's game, defensemen Will Weber and Cameron Schilling and forwards Alden Hirschfeld and Curtis McKenzie were healthy scratches.

"It's not about one game, it's about our program, what we stand for," Blasi said. "Holding guys accountable for the standards we're accustomed to. It was a tough decision to make, but one we thought it was time for."

In addition to the higher level of play from his skaters, Blasi also saw improved performance from goaltender Connor Knapp.

"He was one of guys that we challenged today," Blasi said. "He did a great job. He was focused, ready and he had big saves for us especially in the third."

Knapp recorded his second shutout of the season, but said the effort from his teammates was crucial.

"I was very focused on my game," Knapp said. "It's a matter of bearing down mentally, keeping my focus on the puck. The guys played great in front of me, and that helped out a lot."

Senior Andy Miele notched five points on the weekend, three goals and two assists, as he continues to lead the nation in points (44) and assists (30).

Captain Carter Camper also had a big weekend for the 'Hawks, tallying one goal and three assists. He is second in the nation with 43 points.

After Saturday's game, Miele said the split against MSU puts pressure on the team to perform in its upcoming series at the University of Notre Dame.

"We know we have to go to Notre Dame and take both games," Miele said. "Even if we won both games this weekend, or lost both, we have to go in and get those wins."

Knapp agrees with Miele about the increased pressure.

"I think every game is very important," Knapp said. "I'm happy with the effort tonight, but I'm not satisfied with splitting weekends. We have two big series coming up and there's no looking back. We have to treat each series like a championship weekend. We need these games heading into playoff time."