'Hawks march to Marshall Invitational

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

The Miami University men's golf team is back in full swing this weekend, competing in the Purdue/Midwest Shootout Sept. 11 and the Marshall Invitational Sept. 13 and 14. This is the RedHawks' first tournament since the summer break, and Head Coach Casey Lubahn is hoping the offseason training will pay off.

"One thing we're going to see is how well our guys prepared over the summer," Lubahn said. "It will be a great gage for how productive our summer was."

Building on increased consistency from last year, the golfers hope to start their season off the way they finished the last.

"Getting off to a good start is crucial to getting a spot in the NCAA tournament," Lubahn said. "Now it's time to see all their hard work pay off and get off to a hot start."

Senior captain Nathan Sutherland emphasized the need for each member of the team to make contributions and be prepared in addition to developing consistency.

"We got more consistent as a team last year and I think that's a big key in college golf," Sutherland said. "Showing up every week, every day to practice, being ready to go — we started doing that a lot better last year, and we've done it well so far this year, so hopefully it will continue."

At the beginning of this year, three freshmen were added to the roster. Both Lubahn and Sutherland have high hopes for their success.

"My expectations for them are to compete for a spot in the lineup every week and to give us more depth in our lineup," Lubahn said.

Sutherland agreed, but cut the freshmen a little slack.

"If they play like they're capable of, they can definitely help us," Sutherland said. "I'm sure they're trying to contribute as much as possible. They are just adjusting to college life, so you can't expect too much from someone who's only been here two or three weeks."

The RedHawks are counting on the leadership of Sutherland along with senior Michael Drobnick and Blake English to help the team compete right from the start of the season, putting them in contention on a more regular basis.

The men's golf team will be hitting the links in West Lafayette, Ind. Sept. 11 and in Huntington, W. Va. Sept. 13 and 14.