'Hawks home with hardware

Freshman Jess Kodiak was named the Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Week after defeating Temple Sept. 12.

Alex Butler, Senior Staff Writer

Freshman Jess Kodiak was named the Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Week after defeating Temple Sept. 12. (CONTRIBUTED PHOTO)

Not only does the Miami University soccer team have tired legs after a long road trip, but they may have tired arms as well.

After claiming the Eastern Tennessee State University soccer tournament title, three RedHawks (5-2) carried home hardware and boasted credentials heading into a battle with Eastern Illinois University Sept. 17.

Sophomore Jess Kodiak was named tournament MVP. Kodiak leads the Red and White with five goals and tallied two over the weekend.

The young wave of RedHawks continues to impress.

Freshmen Katy Dolesh and Kayla Zakrzewski claimed spots on the all-tournament team.

Kodiak and Dolesh have both registered goals in each of the last three games.

"It's really great and I love playing here," Dolesh said. "It's a lot of fun and I just try to work my hardest to stay here because it's a great opportunity and I take every chance I've got."

The team will switch from red thread to white garb for six games starting with the Eastern Illinois University Panthers in Oxford.

"We have EIU and Evansville this weekend," Head Coach Bobby Kramig said. "What I'm looking forward to in those games is for one, getting a chance to play at home. We've been six in a row on the road now and this has really been an extended road trip. For our kids to come off of six in a row on the road, having won four I think speaks very well of us. We are looking forward to getting home and staying home. As far as Eastern and Evansville, the challenge coming up for us this weekend is to stay focused and stay on task."

The Panthers play in the Ohio Valley Conference and own a 3-4-1 record, having lost at home Sept. 12.

Dashing down the home grass will help the comfort level of Kramig's young team and being under the revered gaze of RedHawk role models should motivate the Red and White.

"We are going to have our alumni back this weekend for soccer alumni weekend and we are also going to recognize our seniors for senior day on Sunday," Kramig said. "We can't get distracted by those things. We have to have a good week of practice, improve on some areas in our game that still need work and hopefully continue to have good results."

Kramig's kickers surrendered just one score last weekend compared to the eight the weekend before.

They are looking to reclaim their reputation as one of the dominant defenses in the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

Senior day on Sept. 19 commemorates the six seniors on the RedHawk roster before the team takes on the 1-4-1 Evansville Purple Aces.

Dolesh and her fellow freshmen are quickly forging friendships with upperclassmen and it has been a key ingredient in the latest tale of success for the RedHawks.

"They are very happy and encourage me to do better and keep me up if something bad happens," Dolesh said. "They are all nice and welcoming and I like them a lot."

Familiar and fresh faces will lineup for kickoff at 4 p.m. Sept. 17.