’Hawks hold off Bulls for second MAC win

By Daniel Taylor, For The Miami Student

Miami University women's basketball pulled off a big upset over the University at Buffalo Saturday. The RedHawks (5-20, 2-12 Mid-American Conference) defeated the Bulls (15-10, 8-6 MAC) 78-68 on the road.

Miami lost to the Bulls earlier in the season by 20 points and came into the game as a heavy underdog. However, four RedHawks turned in solid nights.

The 'Hawks were led once again by freshman guard Baleigh Reid, who finished with a career high 18 points.

Reid wasn't alone at the top of the box score. Freshman guard Kayla Brown joined with 18 of her own. The pair combined to shoot 12 of 19 from the field, adding 10 free throws on 11 attempts.

Reid drained all eight free throw attempts, an area she has been working hard at all season.

"Buffalo's crowd was pretty crazy," Reid said. "I'm glad I was able to knock them down, especially towards the end."

Reid silenced a charging Bulls team near the end.

Buffalo had cut the lead from 15 to four with under a minute remaining, when junior guard Mackenzie Loesing sent Reid to the line.

Reid knocked both free throws down and would do that two more times. Reid finished with 6 points in the final minutes and put the game on ice for the RedHawks.

"She stepped up with confidence and knocked them down," Wright said. "Not just Baleigh, all the kids had a really strong mentality."

Freshman guard Ana Richter came off the bench for the 'Hawks and tied a career-best with 17 points in 27 minutes of action.

Senior guard Courtney Larson was fourth player who came up big for the 'Hawks. She drained all three 3-point attempts and finished with 16 points.

The RedHawks shot 52 percent from the field and had an electric night from beyond the arc, going 8 for 10.

The young team has gone through bumps and bruises throughout the season, but Wright said this is what he wants to see in the future.

"How we respond to the victory will be important," Wright said. "One game does not define you."

The RedHawks return home Wednesday to face Bowling Green State University.

The Falcons (9-16, 2-12 MAC) are tied with Miami in the basement of the MAC East.

BGSU is on a seven-game losing streak after falling 62-58 at home to Kent State University Saturday.

The last win for the Falcons was a 66-53 victory over Miami Jan. 24.

The RedHawks came out cold in the first half and fell behind 31-9 going into the locker room. The Red and White responded in the second half, outscoring the Falcons 44-35.

Miami junior forward Hannah McCue led the way with 18 points on 6-of-16 shooting.

The Falcons were led by redshirt freshman guard Kennedy Kirkpatrick who had 18 points and three assists.

The MACtion begins 7 p.m. Wednesday at Millett Hall.