'Hawks head to Buffalo, Akron to start MAC play

Michael Solomon, Staff Writer

(MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

The Miami University volleyball team hits the road for its first Mid-American Conference (MAC) matches of the season Sept. 24, heading to the University at Buffalo and the University of Akron Sept. 25.

The RedHawks came out of non-conference play with a 5-8 record, but played well against top teams like Michigan, Ohio State and Kentucky. The young Miami team is hoping their experience against these teams will help them in the toughest part of their schedule, MAC play. 

"The tough schedule of our preseason has prepared us to play anyone," junior Amy Raseman said. "We have played teams with all styles of play that will help our game coming into the regular season."

The Red and White ended their non-conference play Sept. 17 to 19 by hosting the Best Western Invitational at Millett Hall. They went 1-2 on the weekend, defeating DePaul but falling to Illinois State and Indiana University. The RedHawks had a good week of practice working on the things they needed to, while preparing themselves for the long bus trip to upstate New York and then back to Ohio.

"We didn't get the best draw having to play at Buffalo and at Akron the same weekend, but I think it will be a good test for our young team," Head Coach Carolyn Condit said. "We have had some good practices so far this week and our seniors have really stepped it up since the weekend. Buffalo and Akron are both improved over last year, but I think our team is ready for them."

Playing on the road for the first two games won't be easy, but if the RedHawks play their game and stay focused throughout the weekend, they have a good chance to start MAC play off in the right direction.

"In order to win both matches, we need to have a good practice week and be mentally tough against any challenges that we may come across with facing these teams," Raseman said. "We are pretty good at staying focused on the road on the way to long trips. We just need to take out time to study and catch up on our sleep."

After Buffalo and Akron, the RedHawks play their next MAC game on the road at Bowling Green Sept. 30 before returning home to take on Northern Illinois Oct. 3 at Millett Hall.