'Hawks have one last chance for a win

Joe Gieringer, Senior Staff Writer

With December looming, the Miami University football team knows the RedHawks are as far from the bowl selection picture as they could be. But that's not what matters to them - the Red and White care only about ending their season on the right note.

The 0-11 RedHawks have one final opportunity to avoid a winless season against 9-2 Ball State University Friday.

"This week is especially about our seniors," interim head coach Mike Bath (LINK 1) said. "It's about doing what we can, each one of us individually, to go 1-0 this week for those guys. It's been a tough season, it's been a long season, but we would really like to send those guys out the right way this week."

Standing in the way of the RedHawks and a feel-good season ending is the Mid-American Conference (MAC) West's current runner-up.

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning is far and away the passing leader in the MAC, registering nearly 1,000 more yards than the next closest player under center with a grand total of 3,488. Wenning also leads the MAC with 28 touchdowns through the air, throwing just six interceptions in the process. Simply put, the Cardinal quarterback is a lethal offensive weapon.

"They do a good job on both sides of the ball," Bath said. "On offense they've got one of the quarterbacks in the conference and one of the best senior quarterbacks around, but also they can line up and run the football as well."

Junior wide receiver Willie Snead has been the biggest beneficiary of this year's Ball State airborne barrage, as he leads the MAC in receptions with 86, yards with 1,296 and touchdowns with 13. Miami's defense will likely have its hands full with the incoming passing attack, as they've allowed an average of 33.9 points per game this season.

Redshirt senior tight end and captain Steve Marck (LINK 2) said the game should be a bittersweet and emotional affair for all of his classmates.

"You've been here forever and you never think that your last game will be here after five years," Marck said. "I've played in 50-60 games and this is the last one, so we're just going to go out and enjoy it, and I know the other seniors are going to do the same regardless of our record. For most guys, it's going to be the last time they play football, so we'll be savoring the moment and making the most of the opportunities and enjoy the experience."

Marck said that since the game is the last one, it allows the RedHawks to be a little more creative, as there's no reason to hold anything back now.

The Black Friday battle is set for 1 p.m. at Scheumann Stadium.