'Hawks exhibit power over Waterloo

Freshman Bryon Paulazzo seeks the net in Miami’s  exhibition game against Waterloo Oct. 3.
Freshman Bryon Paulazzo seeks the net in Miami’s exhibition game against Waterloo Oct. 3.

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

Freshman Bryon Paulazzo seeks the net in Miami’s exhibition game against Waterloo Oct. 3. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

Coming off a tough loss in last year's Frozen Four tournament, the Miami University hockey team rebounded in their preseason exhibition game Oct. 3 against the Waterloo Warriors, winning by a final score of 6-0 and proving The Brotherhood has not been dismantled.

Aside from the initial faceoff, the Warriors spent little time in control of the puck in Sunday's contest at the Goggin Ice Center. The RedHawks looked strong, led by a hat trick from assistant captain Alden Hirschfeld.

"We've been beating up on each other for the past month and a half, so it's good to get out there and get to beat up on somebody else a little bit," Hirschfield said.

The first period was controlled almost solely by the RedHawks, with Miami allowing only three Waterloo shots on goal through 20 minutes.

At the 16-minute mark, Miami created a scoring opportunity on a delayed penalty call. With an extra attacker, the 'Hawks sent a shot to Waterloo goaltender Keaton Hartigan leading to a scramble in the crease. Amidst some shoving by both teams, Miami's Will Weber muscled Waterloo's Aaron Dileo onto the ice, drawing immense support from the crowd. Weber avoided a penalty on the play, but Waterloo's Tyler Moir was stuck with a five minute major for grasping the facemask and a game misconduct. Additionally, the Warriors' Matt de Jong received a slashing penalty on the play, putting Miami into its first five-on-three situation of the game.

Head Coach Enrico Blasi was glad his team continued to put on the pressure after being held scoreless in the first period.

"Once we came out in the second and got that first (goal), you know, everybody starts to relax a little bit and things started to happen," Blasi said. "You don't want to get frustrated, just keep pluggin' away, and our guys did that."

The second period began with Miami a man up from the major penalty carried over from the first. The middle period brought the goals that were missing in the first, as Miami unloaded for two goals in the first 3:25 of the period.

As time on the penalty expired, Miami defenseman Cameron Schilling posted up at the point. Upon receiving a dish from Pat Cannone, Schilling opened the floodgates with the first Miami goal, an even strength tally. Two minutes later, Andy Miele added to the 'Hawks lead, burying the puck in the net on a tip-in off a shot from the point by Steve Mason.

Halfway through the period, the RedHawks changed net minders, removing Connor Knapp from play and replacing him with Cody Reichard.

With eight minutes left in the second, Miami defenseman Chris Wideman skated up the boards in the offensive zone, finding his way behind the net. From there, Wideman sent a quick pass to an open Hirschfeld in front of the net for a one-timer, beating Hartigan top shelf and putting The Brotherhood up by three.

The third period brought more of the same for the RedHawks. Just over a minute into the final period, freshman Bryon Paulzzo picked up a deflected puck from Miele and fed it to Mason in front of the net. Mason sent a backhander over the glove of Hartigan for the 'Hawks' fourth tally of the night.

Miami's Schilling was then called for a boarding penalty, but Hirschfeld and the 'Hawks could not be slowed. While shorthanded, Hirschfeld picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone, skated around a defenseman and teed-up a shot that found its way past Hartigan's glove side.

For his third goal of the contest, Hirschfeld picked up his own rebound and wrapped around the backside of the net before tapping the puck in. The RedHawks finished the game up by six, accumulating 48 shots and allowing a meager 11.