'Hawks aim to halt eight game skid

Tom Downey, For The Miami Student

The Miami University RedHawks women's volleyball team is on the road this weekend for games against the University at Buffalo and the University of Akron. The Red and White have dropped eight matches in a row, but look to end that skid this weekend.

In their match up earlier in the year, the RedHawks beat Buffalo 3-1 (25-17, 19-25, 26-24, 25-23) in Oxford.  The Bulls are 10-16 overall and 3-9 in conference play as they enter the weekend.  They are currently tied for third with the RedHawks in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) East Division.

"Buffalo is a team we really worked hard to beat last time," Head Coach Carolyn Condit said. "They compete well at home, so we have to be focused in order to win."

The 'Hawks swept the Akron Zips in their first match up this year, winning 3-0 (25-23, 25-20, 25-11).  Akron is currently in last place in the MAC East, with a 4-21 overall record and a 1-11 MAC record.  Their only MAC win came against Kent State University.

"Akron is very young and has their struggles," Condit said. "If we lose, it will be due to our own mistakes."

The Red and White enter this weekend having to win in order to make the MAC Tournament.

"We still have a chance to make the tournament, we just have to start winning," Condit said. "We just have to play our game and find a way to play well under pressure." 

The Akron game will be played on Friday and the Buffalo game is Saturday. The RedHawks will then return home for the final matches of the regular season next weekend against Bowling Green State University and Western Michigan University.