'Hawks advance to MAC Championship Sunday

Win Braswell, Senior Staff Writer

The top seeded Miami University women's soccer team has a shot to win the Mid-American Conference (MAC) tournament championship after defeating fourth seed Kent State University 3-1 in a semifinal matchup.

Defense was crucial for the RedHawks, giving up the lone Kent State goal with just two minutes remaining. In a very physical game that produced three yellow cards and a combined 29 fouls, Miami's team defense held Kent to seven shots on the day, rendering the Golden Flashes' star player and MAC goal leader Jaclyn Dutton ineffective.

"We've been playing better defensively of late," Head Coach Bobby Kramig said. "Having Emilee Kaminski and Courtney Zanotti back has helped us tremendously."

For the second consecutive game, Miami got out to a fast start. Junior forward Kayla Zakrzewski opened the scoring in the eighth minute on an assist by freshman forward Haley Walter. The 'Hawks doubled their lead in the 80th minute, as senior captain Jess Kodiak scored her first goal of the day from about three yards out. After Kent made the score at 2-1 in the 88th minute, just 30 seconds later Kodiak drew a penalty and took advantage of the penalty kick to put the game away.

"We knew Kent State had a really strong defense," Kodiak said. "Offensively, we knew we had to put a few [goals] away."

Miami is now 18-2-1 (10-0-1 MAC) and will face second seeded Central Michigan University in the conference title game. The RedHawks beat the Chippewas 1-0 in double overtime Oct. 19 at Central Michigan. Game time is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.