Harvard director of creative writing teaches fiction course

Hope Holmberg

As the youngest director of creative writing in Harvard University's history, a graduate of the Iowa Writer's Workshop and an accomplished and award-winning writer, Bret Anthony Johnston has embarked on an impressive journey since earning his master's of arts in creative writing at Miami University in 2000.

Yet Johnston is returning to Miami March 22 to 29 to teach a graduate sprint course in fiction and interact with current students.

While Johnston is on campus, he will be giving a public reading from his new work at 8 p.m. March 26 in Leonard Theatre in Peabody Hall.

Johnston said he will be reading a variety of short pieces including a short story, part of a novel and an essay.

Eric Goodman, director of creative writing, said Johnston is teaching a course he took while a student himself.

Johnston said he has been enjoying teaching the sprint course so far.

"They are all wonderful leaders and wonderful writers," Johnston said. "The level of writing of the students has markedly improved since I was here. It's a credit to the students and a credit to the program."

Goodman was one of Johnston's professors while he was a student at Miami.

"His first collection of stories won several national awards and have appeared widely," Goodman said.

Goodman said it's important for current graduate students to connect with past graduates.

"Seeing how Johnston was a graduate student here not that long ago helps our grad students see how getting from here to there is possible," Goodman said. "It lets them make connections as they are going out to make careers."

All six members of the graduate program in fiction are enrolled in the sprint course as well as three undergraduate creative writing students who have been recommended by their professors. The 12-member class has met everyday this week for three hours. In addition, Johnston meets with the students individually.

Senior Sean Rosenberg, a creative writing major who is enrolled in the course, said the opportunity to work with Johnston has been a great experience.

"Not only is he completely down to earth and fun, he has an astute knowledge on all aspects of fiction writing," Rosenberger said. "He's able to speak philosophically about the craft as well as practically. More than anything the sprint course brought a sharper focus to the way I approach writing and pointed out what I need to change in a story so it works more successfully."

Johnston is the author of the highly regarded Corpus Christi: Stories. He is also the editor of Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer.

"That book in many ways grew out of my time here at Miami," Johnston said.

Johnston said Miami showed him what a creative writing workshop was.

"My time at Miami changed my life," Johnston said.

In reference to his time back at Miami, Johnston said, "How could I not come back? Any success that I have found is directly related to my time here at Miami. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for Miami."

Johnston also returned to Miami in 2004 to do a reading when his first book was released. As a former professional skateboarder, Johnston said he finds a connection between skateboarding and writing.

"I skateboard far too often, and I love it with all my heart," Johnston said.

Johnston said he feels nostalgic about his past time at Miami.

"I love it here," Johnston said. "It's great to walk around High Street and walk past my old house. It brings back memories. I'mdelighted to be here."