Guide to ranking football

JM Rieger

Every year people complain, including myself, about how bogus the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is and how college football needs a new playoff system implemented. However, one of the biggest problems that is often overlooked is how teams are ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll and in the Coaches Poll.

After beating New Mexico State 59-0 Oct. 2, the then No. 3 team in the nation, Boise State, somehow dropped from number three to number four in the rankings, while Oregon jumped up from the fourth spot to the third spot after a victory over No. 9, Stanford. Most recently, the top team in the country, Alabama, fell to number eight after a 35-21 loss to South Carolina, moving Ohio State to the top spot in the rankings and Oregon to number two.

You may wonder what the problem is with this, especially since these teams will be tested throughout the rest of the season and by the end of the year we will be able to determine the best team based on who has survived their schedule. Both Ohio State and Oregon have plenty of tests remaining on their schedule, but the issue still remains that Boise State, that has done nothing but win games this year, was somehow jumped by Oregon even though both teams were in the top five and neither team had lost.

In addition, teams that have struggled this year regardless of records, such as Oklahoma, Auburn and Florida, are still ranked in the Top 25. Therefore, I have come up with a three-step guidebook to help writers, coaches and fans determine how to rank teams in college football so certain teams are not excluded from major bowl games simply because they did not get enough respect at the beginning of the year.

First: If a team loses two straight games, they should not be included in the Top 25. Florida has lost the past two weeks to Alabama and to Louisiana State University, and yet they are still in the Top 25. They have not beaten a ranked opponent all season, and they are still ranked 22 while teams such as Michigan, Miami (Fla.) and Oregon State are left out of some polls. Say what you will about these teams, but each team deserves to be ranked above Florida.

Second: Your conference matters … sometimes. I don't want to hear about how great the South Eastern Conference is because if anything this is a down year for them. The Big Ten is definitely the second best division in college football, and one could even argue they are the best division. The top three divisions should garner added respect from voters, but beyond that, rankings should be handled on a team-by-team basis regardless of whether they are in a traditional BCS conference. Therefore, never count out Boise State, because if they have shown anything over the past few seasons, it is that they can beat anyone they face regardless of record, ranking or conference.

Third: If two teams are ranked in the top five, one team should not jump another top five team unless one of those schools loses. Otherwise, why rank teams in the top five? The top five represents the cream of the crop. Therefore, it is ridiculous to say one is better than the other when they are all probably capable of beating each other.

But hey, at least we have the tournament to sort everything out. Oh wait, wrong sport. Looks like it might be another year until Cinderella gets to compete for the national title.