Greek community needs to clean up reputation

Erin Kuhfuss, kuhfusem@muohio.edu

As a senior, I have kept pretty silent in the four years I have attended Miami. However, with the previous encounter I had recently and the attention Miami is receiving for its Greek community, I find that it is finally my time to say something. I am ashamed of the Miami Greek life and the reputation they have currently given themselves and the university.

Last Tuesday, my friends and I were at CJ's. We were the only people in the bar at the time, until a hoard of sorority seniors entered for their "bar crawl." Now, I will not sit here and condemn them for that, because if I could gather all my friends for a bar crawl at a time we could all participate, I definitely would. What I have a problem with was their attitude and they way they carried themselves.

One senior from Kappa Kappa Gamma kept constantly blowing a whistle in the middle of CJ's to gather her sorority flock (and if anyone knows the layout of CJ's, they would know how annoying that would be in such a small space). When my friends and I confronted this senior about her whistle, she began to become hostile and yelled at us continually. I said something to her about how all we wanted was for her to stop, and then came the chaos. She proceeded to call me a "townie" and a few other names I'm pretty sure that Miami would not allow The Student to publish. She was then escorted out the door by two men in CJ's, entered the bar again to yell at me some more, then finally left.

After the article a few weeks ago concerning this SAME issue regarding respect for those who permanently live in Oxford, I was in shock. Aren't Greek individuals supposed to be role models, especially the seniors? Don't they pride themselves in having class, maturity and respect for others?

I was ostracized my freshman year for not rushing and, for the most part, I regretted it. Until now, after the multiple reports of fraternities damaging thousands of dollars of hotel property, the allegations of underage drinking and the disgusting actions of the senior I had the privilege of meeting the other night, I personally feel I made the right choice. I refuse to stereotype every Miami Greek member, but I feel it is a time that change must occur. Greek authority leaders must step up and significantly change the perception of Greek life on campus. Maybe then individuals like myself will view them differently as well.