Grant funds new curriculum

Students work at the Howe Writing Center located at King Library.

Kori Austera

Thanks to an $800,000 grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Miami University students enrolled in software engineering and computer science classes will benefit from a new curriculum implemented in fall 2010.

Jerry Gannod and Janet Burge, associate professors of computer science and systems analysis, and Paul Anderson, director of the Howe Writing Center, teamed with two faculty members from North Carolina State University to develop a grant proposal called "Incorporating communications outcomes into the computer science curriculum."

Anderson said the team's primary goal is to develop a model curriculum that will "integrate communication skills" into several preexisting computer science and software engineering classes.

Some activities have already been added to computer science and software engineering classes, according to Burge.

In the next three years, the team hopes to identify the outcomes of the new curriculum, to think about activities that could be used to achieve these goals and to test the implemented measures.

Anderson said the professors will begin working develop a comprehensive set of learning outcomes for the entire four-year program.

"We have targeted specific courses that our undergraduates are required to take - CSA 174, CSA 271 and data structures," Burge said.

She added that students enrolled in the capstone course would work in teams to apply skills on a large-scale project.

Eventually, Gannod said he expects to expand the curriculum beyond Miami and North Carolina State University; it is meant to be a model for software engineering programs across the country.

Gannod said he believes that by integrating technological knowledge and new skills in writing and communication, Miami students will receive a top-notch education in their field.

Burge said the industry seeks students who can communicate effectively, to work well in teams and to learn new systems.

The new curriculum builds upon a project that Miami started with Michigan Technological University. A team of faculty members from both schools received an NSF grant for a software and communications project in the summer 2008.

"These awards show that the NSF recognizes our commitment in (teaching undergraduates)," Anderson said.

In addition, Miami professors Norm Krumpe, Bo Brinkman, Al Sanders, Doug Troy and Burge were involved in another project that recently received a $5,000 grant from the Howe Writing Center.

The Howe Writing Center viewed this project as "a great demonstration of the ways that faculty can include communication activities into their curriculum so that students can improve their communication skills and enhance their knowledge," Anderson said.

Although the new curriculum will primarily benefit students enrolled in software engineering and computer science courses, Anderson and Burge emphasized several of the affected classes are taken as foundation courses. CSA 174 and CSA 271 are part of a computer science thematic sequence that is open to all majors, Burge said.

Also, Burge and Anderson expected to share the results of the new curriculum with Miami faculty so they can use certain concepts or activities in their classes.

"The Howe Center is delighted with the commitment of the computer science and software engineering departments to develop their students' writing abilities," Anderson said.