Graduate student collects textbooks for Kenya

Natalie McKerjee, Staff Writer

With so many opportunities readily available to students at Miami University, it is easy to overlook the fact that students around the world are without even the most basic resources.

Samuel M. Mwangi, a graduate student and teaching associate in the department of sociology and gerontology, is acquiring donated textbooks to be utilized by his alma mater, Kenyatta University, located in Nairobi, Kenya, to help expand the gerontology degree to a Bachelor of Arts degree.

"I have been aware of their lack of learning materials for some time now and I knew I will definitely do something about it," Mwangi said. Mwangi said a small handful of professors at Kenyatta University generated the idea of finding textbook materials outside of Kenya and Mwangi was contacted to assist in this effort and gladly accepted in hopes of establishing a more understanding of aging societies in the area.

"Students, staff and faculty at Scripps Gerontology Center and departments of sociology and gerontology, and statistics generously donated books to the first phase of the project, where we received 500 books on aging, research methods and statistics," Mwangi said.

Along with the donations, Mwangi has also found assistance from colleagues.

"Two colleague graduate students, Taka Yamashita and Phil Sauer, were very helpful throughout the process, by collecting the books and packing up boxes with stack of books," Mwangi said.

Mwangi said Miami has also contributed to the shipping costs of these 500 plus books, which is far from cheap.

The second phase of this project is currently underway as the call for book donations is still open.

Mwangi said he is interested in the individuals living in these improvised areas.

"My inspiration is from gerontological and demographic facts that populations and individuals are aging, and most of them will be living in the developing nations," Mwangi said. "However, we have not sensitized populations about this fact and more especially where gerontology programs are not well developed. I strongly believe in the potential formal education has in changing people's attitudes and perceptions about a phenomenon, and in this case aging in the African context."

Miami junior Kellie Nadler believes a philanthropic international connection is beneficial for Miami to have.

"It will be good for Miami to connect with communities outside of our secluded one," Nadler said.

Nadler said many students have books not eligible to be sold back for cash at the end of the semester that would be perfect for donating.

Any student with books on aging, social science research methodology and statistics can bring them to 396 Upham Hall .