Golf courses discourage alcohol use on the green

Katie Mark, For The Miami Student

Spring's warm weather has brought out flip-flops, T-shirts, sunglasses and for some students, golf clubs. While having a few drinks on the course may seem like fun to Miami University students, courses in town have a strict no-alcohol policy.

Phil Asbury, assistant golf professional at Indian Ridge Golf Club and Brian Toothman, natural resource worker at Hueston Woods State Park Golf Course, said their courses do not allow alcohol.

According to Toothman, people cannot bring alcohol into Hueston Woods, but they can purchase beer at the lodge.

Toothman said some golfers are calm and go about their business and there is no trouble with drinking on the course. However, there are incidences where beer has been taken from golfers.

"They come in with a 30-pack and try to shove it in the golf cart," Toothman said. "It's mostly seen with college kids and it's probably because of the time of year, now and at the beginning of the school year."

According to Jim Brazen, director of golf at Indian Ridge, Indian Ridge has a liquor license that says it is illegal for golfers to bring their own alcohol onto the premises, but they can purchase alcohol at the pro shop. Brazen said college kids try to bring in alcohol all the time.

"If you see a sweatshirt or towel in the sweater rack, I guarantee you I know what's underneath it," Brazen said. "It's a 12 or 18-pack of Natty Light."

Brazen said when he checks golfers in the pro shop he can tell who's bringing in alcohol and who is not.

"The guys who work for me are more their age, so for a kid to tell them not to do it, it's 'yeah, whatever,'" Brazen said. "But I don't have a problem with telling them to put it back in their car."

Brazen said most of the time the golfers don't say a word.

"One time I asked some boys not to do it and so I saw them pull by in their cart and I pulled up to the first tee, didn't say a word, and they turned their cart around, went back to their car, and put it away," Brazen said. "They knew what I was coming for."

Miami University junior, Mike Treneff, said he plays more in the spring than in the fall.

"My dad will come in on a Sunday afternoon and we'll go to Indian Ridge Golf Club," Treneff said. "With the spring weather, it's just nice to get out on the course on a sunny day and have a few beers while playing some golf."