Golf coach to appear on TV show

Christina Apgar

Miami University's new men's golf coach, Casey Lubahn, and his wife, Rachel, had the opportunity of a lifetime in the summer of 2008 when they were offered a spot on the Golf Channel's hit reality show "The Big Break X: Michigan."

This season, the show consists of eight co-ed teams that compete for spots on the PGA tour and LPGA tour.

After committing to the show, Casey's and Rachel's normal daily routines quickly disappeared as they were sucked into a whirlwind of events. They began by traveling to Michigan's Boyne Highland Resort for 15 days to be taped and interviewed by cameramen ad producers around the clock, according to Rachel.

"As soon as we pulled up, there were cameras in the parking lot taping us and it was so unnatural," Rachel said. "They took all of our electronic equipment and, from that point on, we had no sense of time or what day it was. Everything's on their schedule and you have no idea what you're going to do next."

Luckily, Casey and his wife had an advantage going into the show. Beside being the only married couple, they are both Michigan State University alumni and had experience playing on Michigan's golf courses.

"For one, you're from Michigan; you know the climate and the type of grass you're playing on and the golf course as well," Casey said. "And being husband and wife, we knew each other better than every other team because we knew each other's strengths and personalities."

Although the couple couldn't reveal the outcome of the show, they explained the ongoing pressures they endured while competing.

"(The competition) was much more intense," Casey said. "It's almost surreal at times since you're not really playing a round of golf. You have to be very open-minded and able to adjust ad adapt to the whole situation."

Rachel agreed.

"I definitely think that I felt more pressure playing and hitting shots on the 'Big Break' probably combined in all the competitions and events I've played in," Rachel said. "It was kind of like it all the sudden hit you. You're first nervous with cameras and mics and it's really strange but you get used to that. You realize that hundreds of thousands of people are going to watch this show and you are totally vulnerable to any mistakes or what you say."

Every day the couple had to fight to stay on the show by participating in various competitions. The couple also had to contend with the seven other teams that had an assortment of personalities, according to Rachel.

"You could tell the personalities (the producers) chose and why they chose them," said Rachel. "They chose people to stir it up and people to be loud and in your face."

The couple chose to be themselves and take advantage of the opportunity they had.

"(The challenge) is to be yourself and let that come through on the camera," Casey said. "Rachel and I felt if we were ourselves, we would enjoy it and so would America (as they watched it.) We wanted to roll with the punches."

Now that the show is done taping, Casey and Rachel are back in Oxford and bought a new home. They both agree "Big Break X: Michigan" was a positive experience that helped their golf game and their everyday lives.

"(Coming away from the show) I have an even better firsthand knowledge of pressure," Casey said.

He said he thinks his experience will give him more credibility with the golf team and be something the Oxford community can be excited about.

"I really hope this is a great opportunity to get exposure here at Miami," Rachel said. "I just got here a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to make some friends and maybe use this as a tool to catapult Miami golf into the national spotlight, meet some new people and better ourselves within the community."

The couple's first episode on "Big Break X: Michigan" will air 10 p.m. Oct. 7 on the Golf Channel.