Goaltending duo dominate on ice

Charlie Effinger sports a 2.76 goals-against average in 2006 after finishing second in the nation in GAA last season.

Shelly Miller

Charlie Effinger sports a 2.76 goals-against average in 2006 after finishing second in the nation in GAA last season. (Jeff Creech)

Miami University ice hockey is fueled by the goaltending prowess of Charlie Effinger and Jeff Zatkoff.

The talented twosome splits time on the ice - a rare but efficient tandem in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.

But despite a perceived rivalry, Effinger and Zatkoff boast camaraderie, eclipsing the Steve Cady Arena at the Goggin Ice Center.

"The friendship aspect of our tandem never changes," said Effinger, the junior net minder. "That's just the way it is and the way it has always been."

The goaltenders indulge in a pregame Olive Garden ritual feast on Thursdays and bunk up for road games.

Effinger and Zatkoff have pre-RedHawk resumes as United States Hockey League goaltenders, defending the St. Louis Heartland Eagles and Sioux City Musketeers, respectively.

"I look up to him," said 19-year-old Zatkoff.

The 2006, third-round Los Angeles Kings NHL draftee admits Effinger is more mature, but said the duo mirrors "goofy" personalities.

This self-proclaimed "light-hearted" pair preserves a mutually beneficial relationship on game day.

For the second straight consecutive season, each goaltender is logging one game in goal for each two-game series, with the elder Effinger camped out in the crease for the initial game, Zatkoff for the second.

Effinger said Zatkoff has a knack for easing Friday's tension.

Zatkoff enters the limelight Saturday and admits Effinger's antics act as a nerve breaker.

"I want Charlie to do well and I'm sure he wants me to do well," Zatkoff said.

Effinger reciprocated.

"We're both playing for the symbol on our jerseys," Effinger said.

Striking statistics tabbed Effinger and Zatkoff the country's top goaltending duo last season.

Effinger, the all-CCHA second-team selection, topped the league and ranked second nationally in goals against average (1.83) and save percentage (.931).

Zatkoff, Miami's Rookie of the Year, grasped the nation's fourth-best winning percentage (.725) and chased Effinger's goals against average and save percentage marks, tallying 2.02 and .928 respectively.

"I would argue that Jeff and I are a lot alike," Effinger said. "We do the little things right."

Effinger and Zatkoff, both preseason all-CCHA honorable mention nominees, list collaboration as a vital element propelling the 6-2-0 start - a record landing the RedHawks No. 4 in USA Today polls following last weekend's sweep of Bowling Green State University.

Zatkoff grips a 3-1 record compliments of a 34-save shutout against Bowling Green - the fourth of his career.

Effinger follows suit, carrying a 3-1 mark into a weekend series against Northern Michigan University.

"We have a healthy competition and a great friendship," Effinger and Zatkoff agree - a rivalry rooted in winning a CCHA title and securing a bid to the NCAA Tournament.