Glee Club performs with world-renowned American Boy Choir

Michaela Mondro, For The Miami Student

Many Ohioans may not know that the prestigious American Boy Choir was founded in their state almost 75 years ago. Now operating out of New Jersey, the group maintains national and international touring schedules, and performs with world-class ensembles around the world.

Wednesday, the American Boy Choir returned to the state of their origin to give a concert with Miami University Men's Glee Club. The American Boy Choir is not only a choir, but a boarding school, and is comprised of fourth through eighth graders. The school focuses specifically on creating good citizens and building life skills. The Glee Club, under the direction of Jeremy Jones, opened for the American Boy Choir by singing several songs from their latest concert. The young boys then took the stage. They demonstrated warm-ups and vocalization exercises. The audience was immediately struck by the unique tone created by the high, pure, and extremely clear voices. The group's strict sense of discipline and organization was apparent in their performance. It was obvious that the boys were well trained and knew exactly what to do. Not even the director spoke during their warm-ups. The 50-member choir sang several selections from their current tour, which is themed "Around the World." An audience favorite was a piece wherein the boys mimicked the sounds of a thunderstorm. Another impressive moment was when the pure voices created very high and clear overtones, pitches that are not sung but are created by the other sound waves, that magically struck the audience with disbelief.

The unofficial anthem on The American Boy Choir in "Brothers, Sing On!," a sentiment with which the Glee Club can certainly relate.