Geology department proposes addition of two earth science majors

Courtney Day

Miami University's department of geology has proposed two new majors to provide flexibility for students looking for an interdisciplinary study of earth science.

The new earth science and environmental earth science majors have been approved by the College of Arts and Sciences and are currently being reviewed for approval by the university.

The department currently has two geology majors, in which students can receive a bachelor of arts or a bachelor of science in geology. These majors will still be offered for current and future students who are interested in the more traditional study of solid earth science, but the two new majors will provide different tracks.

Bill Hart, chair of the department of geology, said the new majors provide a flexible, interdisciplinary approach to earth science. The earth science major will be fairly open, allowing students to tailor their classes to their own interests. For example, students could study earth science and law or earth science and business, according to Hart.

The environmental earth science major will apply earth science issues to current and future environmental issues, taking into consideration various disciplines including geology, botany, chemistry and business.

Hart said the departmental changes reflect the strengths of the department's staff, who are heavily involved in environmental and cross-discipline research and education. The new majors fit with the courses being offered and the expertise of the faculty.

Hart said the department introduces a few thousand students to introductory courses in geology each year, and the interest among these students is high.

Many of them choose to pursue a minor or thematic sequence in geology but do not see themselves becoming a professional geologist.

Hart said the new majors will give these students an opportunity to pursue majors that combine their interest in geology and the environment with their other strengths and career goals.

"We hope that if nothing else, it at least creates awareness that we are an interdisciplinary science," Hart said.

He said many students think geology is limited to the study of rocks but said the field is actually very broad.

"The whole idea of these two majors is not something we have come up with overnight," Hart said.

He said while the plans began a number of years ago, the department worked to solidify the new majors last year and Jonathan Levy, a professor in the geology department, did much of the formal work to submit the proposal.

"The college is excited about the new majors and we were impressed by the proposal and the rationale behind it," said Keith Tuma, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS).

Hart said he's seen unanimous enthusiasm from the department's faculty and the CAS.

He added the department has also found in speaking with students and conducting surveys that students think the new majors are a good idea.

Hart said most current geology majors are interested in the more traditional study of geology that is currently offered, but he said he feels the new majors may attract students that would otherwise not major in geology.

The program changes will likely affect future students more than current students who are following program guidelines in the current undergraduate bulletin.

Hart said while environmental issues have gained popularity recently, the departmental changes are more than just a response to a trend.

He said some institutions have changed the names of their programs or changed their entire focus, but Miami's department is keeping the traditional majors as well as adding an opportunity for flexible study of environmental and earth science issues.