Games ban could face changes

Outdoor contests such as beer pong and flip cup would be outlawed by the  ordinance. With the suggested change, they could just be moved to backyards.
Outdoor contests such as beer pong and flip cup would be outlawed by the ordinance. With the suggested change, they could just be moved to backyards.

Christopher Washington, Senior Staff Writer

Outdoor contests such as beer pong and flip cup would be outlawed by the ordinance. With the suggested change, they could just be moved to backyards. (Michael Pickering)

As the final vote on a measure that could prohibit outside drinking games draws near, the city of Oxford and Miami University students have been working to find a compromise that would satisfy the Oxford City Council and students.

The vote is scheduled for Dec. 5 at the Oxford City Council meeting and various organizations; including Miami's Associated Student Government (ASG), the Student Community Relations Committee (SCRC), and City Council members; are hoping to present their own reports and responses.

The proposed ordinance would prohibit all residents of Oxford from participating in alcoholic games outside the home and require that all materials used for these games be transferred inside the resident's house. Beer pong, flip cup and chugging contests are listed as examples of games that would be prohibited. The original vote for the ordinance was Nov.7, however voting was postponed until the Dec.5 meeting.

A member of City Council has worked to develop a concession regarding the ordinance. At the Nov. 21 City Council meeting, Councilor Dave Prows requested that Oxford's law director, Stephen McHugh, develop language that would amend the ordinance to read that outdoor drinking games and contests shall not be visible from public thoroughfares. This request differs from the original ordinance, which states drinking games and contests would not be permitted outside of a person's home.

"The intent as requested was ... that it wouldn't be viewed from public right of ways," McHugh said. "If it's in the backyard and it's not viewed from the backyard and you can't see it from the street, that would be allowed (with this new concession)."

Mary Ann Eaton, deputy clerk of City Council, said Prows' amendment would prevent games in plain view that may be offensive to out-of-town guests in Oxford.

"The idea is to have (outdoor drinking games) in the backyard rather than the front yard, so visitors and children won't have it thrown in their face," Eaton said.

The vote to adopt this amendment will be held at the Dec.5 meeting.

Miami first-year Brooke Grimes said Councilor Prows' suggestion to amend the ordinance is a fair compromise because it is better for the community but does not confine students within their homes.

"I think obviously it will make the community look a little bit better for an outsider," Grimes said. "It will also show that it's promoting less (visible) alcohol use because you don't see it being played on every front porch. It will also limit litter in the front yards."

In hopes to express students' concerns, ASG created a resolution earlier this week, which recommends that City Council use already-established ordinances to address problems involving outdoor litter, noise violations, party disturbances and furniture not manufactured for outdoor use. Furthermore, the ASG resolution asks that City Council be open to discussion if this ordinance is passed.

"We're going to present our legislation to the city, which is how we feel and that this law is unnecessary," said Jen House, ASG secretary for off-campus affairs.

This new resolution will be voted on by ASG Dec. 5. If passed, it will be presented to City Council that evening.

In addition, SCRC will hold a final meeting Dec. 1 to review input received at its public forum earlier in November. After deliberation, members will create a report also to be presented at the Dec. 5 meeting.

During the SCRC public forum, Miami students and Oxford residents were given the opportunity to voice concerns pertaining to the ordinance.

A concern expressed at the forum was that the ordinance itself would not prevent students from drinking alcohol. However, members of City Council have expressed that by removing drinking games and contests from outside, the ordinance focuses more on producing a better quality of life and a healthier image of the city.

Also, the worry that realtors could suffer property damage if drinking games and contests are forced to move inside was presented.

Further input dealt with the imposition the ordinance forces upon Miami students. Students argued that there should be a symbiotic relationship between Miami students and the city, and that the ordinance would only further divide the two bodies.