Former basketball player to discuss new book, experiences in NBA

Natalie McKerjee

John Amaechi, a former resident of Toledo and a NBA star, will visit Miami University to discuss his autobiography, Man in the Middle, in which he discusses becoming the first NBA player to announce his homosexuality.

Amaechi graduated from Pennsylvania State University and began playing for NBA directly after graduation, playing for the Houston Rockets, the Orlando Magic, the Utah Jazz and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

It was in February 2007 that Man in the Middle was released by ESPN Books. Amaechi will be on campus 7-9 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Marcum Conference Center, during which time he will present a lecture, answer questions and be available to sign books.

"John is a former NBA basketball player and the first ex-NBA player to publicly declare his gayness," said Leslie Morrow, the interim assistant director of diversity affairs for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer services (GLBTQ) at Miami.

By announcing his sexuality in his book, Amaechi became not only the first NBA player to come out publicly, but also became the sixth professional male athlete from one of the four major American sports-including the NBA, MLB, NFL and the NHL-to publicly announce and discuss his homosexuality.

Amaechi has since left the NBA and has become a national spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign's Coming Out Project, which requires him to travel often and support his humanitarian work.

"(Amaechi) will be discussing his book Man in the Middle, discussing his life as a closeted athlete as well as his journey from his boyhood until now," Morrow said. "His presentation is free and open to the public and we hope to reach not only athletes, but all students on campus that can identify with the challenges of discovering who you are in a society that attempts to place you inside an all too confining box."

According to Morrow, Amaechi will discuss the importance of reaching an individual's potential, regardless of labels that can society impose.

"He does not like to be labeled," Morrow said. "Attempting to shed his jock image, he hopes to inspire others to reach their full potential despite the challenges presented to those labeled or defined as 'other.'"

Some presenters for this event include the Office of Diversity Affairs, Spectrum, Intercollegiate Athletics, the Women's Center, Associated Student Government, and the Office of GLBTQ Services.

Spectrum co-president, Kristen Vliet, said she is looking forward to Amaechi speaking to students, and serving as a potential role model.

"I think it's really good for students to see someone who is openly out who has the level of success that he has," Vliet said. "I think it gives them a role model, especially someone who is an athlete, which isn't something that is stereotypically associated with the community."

The sponsors for the event include the Office of Diversity Affairs, the diversity affairs council, and the special events funding division of student affairs.

These departments allowed Amaechi to travel to Miami and participate in a presentation as well as a book signing that it available not just to students, but to the Oxford community as well.

"I am definitely planning on going," said first-year Lauren DeYoung. "It's exciting that he would consider coming to Miami ... I hope to understand more about the hardships that correspond with being an athlete and struggling to be accepted."