Former 9/11 commissioner to visit Hamilton campus

Hamilton
Hamilton

Charlie Turner

Hamilton

Terrorism, national security and the impending fate of America-all hot topics of debate in Washington.

And now, former United States Congressman Lee Hamilton will bring them to Miami University's Hamilton campus at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14.

Vice-chair of the 9/11 Commission and co-chair of the Iraq Study Group, Hamilton will be addressing topics including terrorism and the future of America. His lecture will be "A Balanced View of American Power: How to Combat the Threats of the 21st Century."

"He's well known and we hope he is still a very timely speaker, and I think for the country as a whole, security is a top concern for the American public," said James Neidhard, director of development for Miami Hamilton and chair of the committee that chose Hamilton.

Hamilton served 34 years in the United States House of Representatives as a Democrat representing Indiana's 9th District until he retired in 1999. During and after his tenure, he served on several committees, including the 9/11 Commission and the Iraq Study Group, according to the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Web site, an organization of which Hamilton is the president and director.

Both Neidhard and Michael Carrafiello, assistant dean of Miami Hamilton, said that they expect a very eclectic audience to attend the Hamilton event. Neidhard added that after polling around campus, he is confident there will be a large attendance.

"You find out how well-known people are and I did a little sample poll of the campus and something like 90 plus people new him from 9/11 and the Iraq Study Group," Neidhard said. "And people around this area have certainly heard of him."

Hamilton will be visiting Miami Hamilton as part of the Harry T. Wilks Lecture series. According to Carrafiello, the lecture series has become known for bringing in speakers who are timely, relevant and have a level of prestige.

"(Based on the nature of the series) you know this is someone who has had an important role in contemporary American life," Carrafiello said.

The series is funded by an endowment given by Harry T. Wilks, a retired attorney and businessman. Miami Hamilton has agreed to pay Hamilton $25,000 for his hour-long lecture, Neidhard said.

Some students, however, said that while they would like to hear Hamilton speak, they have no way of getting to Miami's Hamilton campus.

"I think it would be interesting and beneficial for students to hear his point of view and I wish he was coming to Oxford," said sophomore Hannah Fiehrer. "Most people on (Oxford's) campus don't have a car, so if it was at a place where I could walk, then I would go.