First-year fears addressed by administration

Kathleen Clyburn, For The Miami Student

The first week of college brings about a variety of emotions for first-year students at Miami University. According to first-year Laura Conard, a mixture of excitement and nerves filled her as she prepared for her new life on campus.

"I am very excited about being here at Miami," Conard said. "I am just nervous about the classes."

The professors, faculty and upperclassman at Miami work hard to make first-year students' high expectations a reality, according to Monique Frost, first-year student adviser.

One such way is with convocation, a ceremony that signifies the new academic year and the start of college life for incoming students.

According to Conard, at this year's convocation, students passed paper planes with their favorite quotes written in them to each other.

"I received a really meaningful quote in my airplane that is going to inspire me for my time here at Miami," Conard said. "It made me very excited for what is to come."

The transition from high school classes to college courses can be a daunting task for first-year students, according to Mass Communications professor Ronald Becker. They expect the courses to be more difficult, but have a vague sense of exactly what that means.

"Raise your bar," Becker said. "Just because something worked for you in high school doesn't mean it will work for you in college."

A number of first-year students, including Conard, find this statement to be true.

"I did well in high school, but I know college will require me to spend more time on work," Conard said.

Asking for help in college courses can be nerve-racking, Becker added, and it seems as though students often put it upon themselves to figure things out.

"I'm shocked by how few students come to me for help," Becker said.

According to Becker, professors encourage their students to use office hours, undergraduate assistants, study groups and any other available resources to seek help.

"Being an adult doesn't mean being on your own," Becker said. "It means taking the initiative to get the help that you need, rather than waiting for someone to give it to you."

Conard agreed with this piece of advice.

"My future starts here," Conard said. "I want to be a good student, work hard and be involved."

According to Frost, first-year students often have trouble studying for college courses and managing their time properly.

"Find a system of organization that fits you," Frost said.

Conard said that students often have high hopes for balancing their academic life and social life on campus.

"I hope to have good time management skills and that I learn to balance my work and activates well," Conard said.

According to Frost, Miami offers many programs, events and activities, such as cookouts, intramural sports teams and convocation to make the campus feel like a home away from home and help students adjust to college life.

"Getting involved in campus activities can ease homesickness and also help students stay focused and on track," Frost said.

Frost also said Miami offers a great orientation program that encourages students to be motivated, successful and knowledgeable about the campus.

"Orientation helps students locate resources, as well as helps to instill positive values and characteristics," Frost said.

Conard said she is very optimistic about campus life and the opportunities that come with it.

"I think Miami will live up to its name," Conard said.