First-year enrollment falls short

Jenna Kruse

Miami University's incoming first-year class can boast something past classes haven't been able to - the most diverse class in the school's 200-year history.

The class of 2013 has an estimated 11 percent ethnically diverse students and an additional 3.2 percent are international students.

"The academic profile looks nearly identical to last year's but what stands out is the diversity of the entering class," said Laurie Koehler, director of admission. "The numbers won't be final until a few weeks into classes, but we anticipate the most diverse class racially and ethnically in Miami's history - most diverse both in terms of number of students and percentage of the class."

Koehler said the academic record remains similar to years past with 38 percent graduating in the top ten percent of their high school classes, and 24 percent scoring a 29 or higher on the ACT.

The current enrollment for the first-year class is 3,220 students. That number is less than the 3,609 students in last year's class as listed online in the Miami University Institutional Research Board's Fact Book.

Koehler said the difference in enrollment numbers is due to the economy and Miami's high tuition compared to other state schools. She said greater diversity has been part of a university-wide campaign.

"We had a 12 percent increase in our applications this year and led an unprecedented effort university-wide to help with recruiting efforts," Koehler said. "Faculty, students, staff and parents all helped out, so to end up short in that first-year class was disappointing because we invested so much time and energy into bringing more students into this class."

Provost Jeffrey Herbst said the recruiting efforts for the class of 2013 contributed to stronger diversity numbers despite the smaller enrollment.

"We've made an enormous effort to get more first generation students and diverse socioeconomic backgrounds," Herbst said. "Given where the economy is, it has been perfectly appropriate, and I've been exceptionally gratified with the widespread effort and understanding on campus to attract diverse students."

Herbst said even more can be done to improve diversity.

"I'm happy that diversity has improved but no one believes this job is finished," Herbst said. "We want to make sure Miami is accessible to everyone regarding ethnicity, race and socioeconomic status."

As for upperclassmen retention, enrollment numbers have remained steady since their first year.

Jhan Doughty Berry, director of student retention, said the retention rate at Miami is among the highest in the state. She credits the statistic to the high quality of a Miami education.

"We hope students stay here because they're getting an academically superior experience," Berry said. "We're a very student-centered university. Miami is on a whole different level than other universities."