Field hockey aims for undefeated season

Katherine Ladt

To many people in the United States, field hockey is viewed as a female sport, but ask any player on the Miami University field hockey team and they will tell you that is far from the truth. For the past few years this team has been recognized as a co-ed organization with help from some male student participation that derived from their international backgrounds. Yet it is not the male influence that has given the team its two-year undefeated status. It is the leadership and motivation the team promotes within itself that has allowed multiple successful seasons.

This year's team is driven by president Anne Kash Dobbins, a junior who has found a home within the team since her first year. With the loss of nearly half of last year's roster due to graduation, the team was eager to find young talent to fill those spots that could carry on the team's consistent chemistry.

"We are very lucky that we were able to gain so many underclassman that share the same intensity as the veteran players," Dobbins said. "Our team has so much experience as individuals yet with that comes the ability to play as a team, and that's exactly what we do."

One aspect that sets these players apart is their capacity to coach themselves and produce game winning plays. While Dobbins is in charge of maintaining the team and its schedule, various chairs such as the drill chair, allocate responsibility within the team. Because these players only compete in the fall, the dedication and competitive edge is more intact. Dobbins also mentioned the importance of integrating a well-balanced position as a player, a student and someone who can let loose.

"There is a lot of great personality within our roster which makes each practice and game fun," Dobbins said. "One of the best aspects of being a part of this organization is bonding with each other."

The team has come to rely on one another, and for those who have been on the team for a few years it has become a support system that helps maintain stability.

"Club field hockey is an amazing time; we are all very talented athletes who have fun at practice, play hard and win games." senior Ali John said. "I am sad to be a senior knowing this is my last opportunity to play with a group of such amazing girls and Richard."

Sophomore Richard Mandimika, the only male on the team, has also been a factor in the team's achievements by bringing in a new element to the game. Dobbins explained how important the male presence has become in the success of the team.

"Having a male athletic perspective has taught us to look at the field as a whole and expand our ability to blend technique with intuition," Dobbins said.

With the guidance of the veterans, the potential of new members, and its "get it done" attitude, the Miami club field hockey team is one to look out for. The team hosts a double header against University of Kentucky and OSU beginning at noon Sunday on the turf field behind Yager Stadium. So Miami students explore co-ed field hockey, see a man in a skirt and be sure to get your club on!