Feminist to present historical insight on art

Dylan Tussel, Senior Staff Writer

Judy Chicago, renowned artist in the feminist art movement, will discuss feminist art and her experiences as a secular, Jewish, artist in a two-part lecture series this week at Miami University.

Alexandra Newman, president of the Art and Architectural History Association (AAHA), invited Chicago to speak at Miami because she feels Chicago will bring a unique perspective that is not widely represented.

"I think people who are familiar with art history in general and the art world aren't usually familiar with feminist art … it's not taught in survey courses and not something you would encounter much at museums," Newman said. "She'll give a completely different perspective on the art world and the role women play in it."

Thursday, Chicago will discuss feminist art in the 21st century and specifically, the feminist art movement. Friday, she will share her own experiences.

Alex Howie, religious facilitator for the Association of Jewish Students (AJS), has worked with Newman to bring Chicago to Miami. AJS is co-sponsoring the event because Chicago's lecture will include her perspective as a secular Jewish woman, Howie said.

"She will showcase a different type of Judaism that people aren't necessarily familiar with," Howie said, referring to secular Judaism.

Howie said Chicago's message is relevant to every student's life.

"We hear about the role of women in different career paths, and that's what Chicago is exploring in her main piece, The Dinner Party," Howie said. "It's impacting women in society and it's something that'll affect everyone in the workplace."

The Dinner Party (1974-79) is Chicago's most famous work, according to Nancy Thebaut, Chicago's assistant.

"This work was highly controversial but now is widely praised as being the cornerstone work of the 1970s feminist art movement," Thebaut said via e-mail. "It is now housed at the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art at the Brooklyn Museum."

The Dinner Party is a multimedia project that symbolizes the history of women in western civilization and has been viewed by over one million people internationally, according to Chicago's Web site.

"(The installation is akin to) the Last Supper from the point of view of those who did all the cooking," Chicago said via e-mail.

Howie is also editor of Effusions, a biannual arts magazine, produced in conjunction with AAHA, which brings together different areas of art study and showcases student work. Chicago's message goes along with the theme of this semester's issue of Effusions, Howie said.

"Our theme this semester is women in art," Howie said. "Tracing the history of females, in particular the female nude in art, and the roles women have played in art."

During Chicago's lectures, slideshows will display her works of art. Much of her art incorporates phallic and vaginal symbols, Newman said.

"Especially when starting out in the 1970s, using genital imagery was a way for women to reclaim their bodies and use it as something positive rather than something that's negative," Newman said.

Chicago will speak Thursday, April 8, at 7 p.m. and at 8 p.m. Friday, April 9, in the Taylor Auditorium in the Farmer School of Business. Admission is free and no tickets are necessary.

Chicago hopes students take away an understanding of feminism.

"I've been a working artist for more than 40 years and have fought for women's right to full expression," Chicago said via e-mail. "What I hope that they will learn is the importance of knowing history, the need to find one's own voice and the fact that feminism is something to be proud of rather than fearful about."