Family must never be forgotten

Chris DeNicola, denicocj@muohio.edu

College is one of the times in life that it is easy to forget what had to happen in order for you to end up where you are. Joining clubs, playing intramurals, worrying about Greek life, partying and studying (if you've managed to fit that in your schedule) can really take up a ton of space in your head. It's a time to learn and a time to try new things. Oftentimes, though, it can make you forget how you got here. Family weekend is a great time to remember what sacrifices were made to put you on this incredible campus.

Mom and dad had to sacrifice a lot for me and my four brothers and sisters to get us through school, braces, dermatology appointments, sports, et cetera. You name it, they supported it. I have a feeling most kids on this campus were the same way. Much of the support was monetary. For others it was the comfort of knowing parents are always here for us no matter what. I suspect that for many on this campus, it was both.

I know firsthand how easy it is to get sidetracked. I realized this week that I rarely call my mother, the woman who has supported, loved and helped me through events in my life I didn't know how to handle. She helped me find myself and did it with a smile. Times weren't always easy between my parents and I and at this point and my siblings and I have nearly sucked them dry for money. However, my parents never complained, never stopped their support and never once given any notion they've regretted the choices they had to make to put me where I am today.

It is incredible the opportunities this university affords us every day. I came through when I was a first-year and tried to get involved in anything I could. I didn't want to go home, not because I didn't want to see my family, but I had a feeling that if I left Miami, even for a weekend, I would miss something big. I let this feeling keep me from visiting or calling for weeks.

This feeling crept back up in me this past weekend as my little niece Grace turned one year old. I was only able to make it home for one hour and then had to come right back up to school. I arrived to the birthday party with cheers from Grace's three siblings, Katherine, James and Rachel. Just as I started to feel comfortable back at home with my family, I had to load up the car and drive back to Oxford. My parents understood, as did my sisters and brothers, but the little ones didn't. It was a tough thing to realize.

The point I'm trying to make is this: remember, especially this family weekend, where you came from and who helped you to get here. Even if your parents, grandparents, stepparents or whoever was your family growing up aren't coming up this weekend, call them, text them, send them an e-mail. Let them know how much you appreciate all they've done for you. I know firsthand how crazy it can get up here. This is one of the greatest times of our lives. Take advantage of it. But don't ever forget you get to do this only because someone else worked hard to put you here.

And if nothing else, tell your parents what I'm telling mine. Thank you, mom and dad. I love you both.