Fair attracts record number of employers

Ashley Colley

Miami University students looking for full-time jobs and internships this spring may have some additional prospects, as the Spring Internship and Career Expo (Spring ICE) will host a record number of employers Feb. 20 at Millett Hall.

While Spring ICE usually draws about 100 employers, 141 will be in attendance this year, which is the largest number in the history of the event, according to the Office of Career Services.

"There has been a higher demand for new college graduates, said Bill Froude, associate director of career services. "It's a good time to be seeking a full-time job or an internship."

According to Carol Fink, a program associate in the Office of Career Services, the additional employers are not necessarily new to Miami, but do not attend Spring ICE as frequently as they attend the fall career fair, the time in which most employers do their recruiting. One of the employers making a return to Miami's spring fair this year is IBM.

In addition, students will be able to meet with representatives from businesses and industries such as Abercrombie and Fitch and Cintas.

Several governmental and public service organizations - including Peace Corps and the Cincinnati Police Department - will also attend. Employers will be looking for students to fill full-time as well as internship positions.

Froude believes that the large number of employers attending this year is due to the improvement of the economy.

The spring fair used to be strictly for internship recruiting and is confined to a smaller space, which has limited the growth of the current Spring ICE. However, Fink said the spring fair still offers more internships and includes new employers such as the Chicago Office Technology Group.

According to Froude, the same employers are invited every year, assuming Miami has had good experiences with them in the past. However, Froude noted that career services is always open to suggestions for new employers.

Froude added that Miami students are particularly appealing to employers.

"Miami students are great employees," Froude said. "They have a great track record, and employers keep coming back for more."

Alan Oak, assistant dean for external relations in the Richard T. Farmer School of Business, agreed.

"Miami students are the best, right?" Oak said. "Our students are bright, motivated, and have the benefit of a good educational experience."

Oak also cited Miami's excellent entrepreneurship program - the Page Center for Entrepreneurship - which was ranked 19th in Entrepreneurship Magazine's 2006 list of top undergraduate entrepreneurship programs. The program is particularly appealing to employers who are looking for a variety of majors, as 35 to 40 percent of entrepreneurship minors pursue majors outside of business.

But Spring ICE is not only for business majors. According to career services, nearly 50 percent of the employers attending Spring ICE are seeking students of all majors.

However, Froud said not all students will be interested in attending Spring ICE.

"Career fairs are great for some students, but for other students, I encourage them to meet with a career adviser," Froude said.

Froude warned students not to be discouraged if many of the employers on the list do not catch their attention.

"Even if you like one employer, it's worth going," he said.