Face to Face with Carter Camper

Sophomore forward Carter Camper is making his run at the Hobey Baker Memorial Trophy, college hockey's highest individual honor.

Katie Giovinale

Name: Carter CamperSport: HockeyHometown: Rocky River, Ohio

Katie Giovinale (KG): When was the first time you put on a pair of skates and knew you wanted to play hockey?

Carter Camper (CC): When I was two and a half ... my older brother and his buddies thought it would be cool to play hockey and they brought me along and I fell in love with it then.

KG: What team did you start out on?

CC: I played rec hockey until I was 8, then I started

playing with the Cleveland Barons. I really developed there and then moved away freshman year of high school to play in Detroit. I came back to Cleveland to play sophomore and junior year and then moved to Lincoln, Nebraska to play juniors my senior year.

KG: What team did you play juniors for?

CC: The Lincoln Stars.

KG: How did being away from home so much affect you?

CC: It helped me to be away from home because I grew up on the ice and off the ice as an individual. I learned more about myself and matured.

KG: How did you decide on Miami?

CC: When I came to visit, everything was perfect. I was always told that when you went to visit a school and you felt comfortable, then that would be the place. The coaches were cool and everything felt right.

KG: What position do you play? What does it entail?

CC: Center-I play a little more in the defensive zone and I help out down low. I'm on the ice to support everyone and take face-offs.

KG: What are some awards that you've won since you come to Miami?

CC: Last year I was the CCHA rookie of the month three times, I was the national rookie of month in January 2008, I was on last year's all-rookie team, and I've been the player of the month.

KG: What are some individual and team goals to finish out the season?

CC: Individually I want to lead the nation in scoring, and as a team we want to win the CCHA and win a national championship.

KG: How do you think you can improve?

CC: I'd like to get stronger, get to the net more, get more opportunities to score and be stronger in the defensive end.

KG: What's your future in hockey?

CC: I'd love to play as long as I can. I'd love to play after college; that's what I want to do is play hockey. When I'm done I'd like to coach.

KG: Do you have any pre-game rituals?

CC: I just need to get my sleep and stay loose and relaxed and try not to tense up.

KG: What's your major? What do you plan to do with it?

CC: Psychology-I don't really have plans, I just thought it would be interesting to learn more about myself and other people, and maybe eventually go into sports psychology to helpathletes with the obstacles they face.

KG: What do you like to do in your free time?

CC: I beat (Justin) Vaive and (Pat) Cannone in Wii bowling-I own the high score. I'm a big Cleveland Indians fan, and I love boating and being at the beach.

KG: What are some of your mottos?

CC: My dad always says "msh"-make something happen. I go by that. My cousin told me to live life to the fullest and I do.