DZ, Beta receive sanctions

Brianna Mulligan

Two Alpha chapters of Greek organizations were sanctioned at Miami University for violating the school's student alcohol policy.

The Alpha chapter of the Delta Zeta (DZ) national sorority was sanctioned by Miami University April 11 for violating the student code of conduct pertaining to the underage consumption of alcohol.

DZ accepted responsibility for the actions. Most members are now required to attend an alcohol education course by Sept. 30.

The chapter was accused of hosting an off-campus party Feb. 23 where minors were served alcohol. An anonymous complaint was received by the Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution April 2.

"The complaint was initially filed through the office of Greek life," said Chris Taylor, assistant director of the Office of Ethics. "We sent notice of the complaint to the DZ president and scheduled a procedural review for the organization on April 11."

According to Taylor, at a procedural review a student or organization accused of violating student conduct codes can accept responsibility or request to go to a hearing.

At the April 11 procedural review, DZ representatives accepted responsibility for violating the code of conduct.

"They did not go to the hearing since they were willing to accept responsibility," said Susan Vaughn, the Alpha chapter adviser. "They admitted all along the way that they were at the function."

The university imposed a sanction stating that 100 percent of the new member class of DZ and 80 percent of the active members must attend the alcohol education class.

According to Vaughn, who is also Miami's director of the Office of Ethics, this is a fair punishment for the chapter.

"It's a mandatory minimum that the university gives," she said.

The sorority has until the fall to complete the two-hour class the sanction was announced at the end of the semester.

"There is probably not time for them to get it done in the remaining two weeks," Taylor said. "And, since it is one class for the entire organization, it might be hard to plan."

DZ is an Alpha chapter on campus, founded at Miami in 1902. However, Vaughn insists it did not receive special attention.

"The last thing you want to see is a chapter gone, but it's not immune," Vaughn said. "It was not treated any differently."

Beta Theta Pi (Beta) fraternity was also sanctioned by the Office of Ethics for violating the code of conduct.

Beta received the same sanction, with 100 percent of the new member class and 80 percent of the active members required to attend an alcohol education course. The fraternity is also required to provide a copy of its new member manual to the Office of Ethics.

Beta was accused of hosting an off-campus party Feb. 25 at which minors were served alcohol. The university received the complaint Feb. 25. Beta was notified March 3 and attended a procedural review March 10.

Instead of accepting responsibility at the procedural review, Beta elected to have a hearing April 8. According to Beta adviser Brian Breittholz, this decision was made by Beta president Ben Bressler.

"It wasn't an issue over whether they were going to accept responsibility," Breittholz said. "Ben wanted to explain how Beta was addressing the situation. He wanted a chance to explain how they were taking a pro-active approach."

Beta has until Sept. 30 to complete the sanction.