Duke Energy proposal would allow patrons choice of provider

Catherine Ubry, For The Miami Student

In the upcoming months, citizens of Oxford may be able to look forward to cost saving opportunities in regards to their electric bills if the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio approves a proposal recently put forth by Duke Energy Ohio, the main supplier of electricity throughout Oxford.

According to Duke Spokesman Paul Flake, Duke Energy Ohio currently has an electric security plan in place that will expire by the end of the year. When the current plan expires, Duke will need a new plan for customers, which prompted Duke to recently file a new proposed plan. In order to get the new plan passed, Duke must wait for the PUCO to approve the new proposal.

"There is a settlement agreement where we get all of the partners and stakeholders in the company involved and we come up with an agreement on the proposal," Flake said.

Citizens of Oxford currently have the freedom to purchase services from the electric supplier of their choosing. According to Flake, Ohio law requires that customers have a choice in their supplier seeing that it is a right of the customer. But if approved, the newly proposed agreement plan filed to PUCO for approval will allow customers the opportunity to save money if they stay with Duke.

"With Duke, there is already a choice," Flake said. "There is a vibrant, competitive marketplace. This new proposal is about balancing all of the needs of the stakeholders. It will enhance the competitions that are already in place."

Public Utilities Commission spokesperson Matt Butler said the proposed savings for customers.

"There will be a competitive auction that will determine customer rates that don't choose to stop for different suppliers," Butler said. "If they choose to stay with Duke, they will be able to save. Duke is anticipating that the average customer would see about a $14 per month decrease."

According to Butler, PUCO is expected to make a final decision on the plan within the next several weeks. If approved, the plan will go into effect January 1, 2012. The plan will be in place for the next three years.

It is not uncommon for companies such as Duke and its commissions and stakeholders to work together and come to a middle ground. These plans take time to come up with approved agreements and once the PUCO approves the plan, the new plan will be able to aid customers throughout Oxford, according to Butler.

Miami University sophomore Jason Raju said, "I think this is going to be really good for Oxford because it will allow more competition for the company and it will also be really good for the citizens living in Oxford."

Within the next few weeks, citizens of Oxford will know whether or not the proposal will come into effect by the beginning of the New Year.

"With how the economy is now, I feel like this would be really beneficial for Oxford citizens," Rajo said. "I hope the proposal passes, I think it would definitely benefit the market."