Don’t let Trump’s political tactics trick you

By Andy Switzer, Guest Column

Donald Trump is an adept practitioner of a fundamental law of power - the necessity of creating and sustaining a strong support of dedicated followers.

Followers are necessary, of course, in an election season. But there is something very alarming in the way that Donald Trump has amassed his followers as compared to other candidates. Everyone else, after outlining policies directed toward goals, campaigns to sell their vision of what is best for America.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, refuses to outline any policies, and sells America empty promises.

And we believe him.

By empty promises, I mean impractical solutions that, in theory, accomplish some ends, but without any means. For example, Donald Trump is going to tell you that he will solve a problem you care about. Be it our immigration system, the threat of terrorism or a stagnant economy, Trump will fix it. He will fix it by telling you not how he will do it (the means) but how great the result will be (the ends). No more illegal immigrants taking your job, the immediate decimation of ISIL or a booming economy that will make you rich.

To put it succinctly, he promises us what we can't have.

But then, why is he successful?

I think the answer is rather frightening. Donald Trump, through his empty-promise rhetoric, has tapped into something powerful - people's need to believe in something.

A belief in something isn't wrong, but a belief in an empty promise is. Empty promises bring voters, and Donald Trump knows this better than anyone.

So when he tells you about how good his ends will be, you don't just forget about the means, you disregard them completely. And you do so for a simple reason: thinking practically takes away the awe, takes away the marvel and leaves you feeling hopeless.

Voters need to be awed. The ends are what galvanize voters, whereas the means simply confuse them. Don't tell crowds how to make ice cream. Just give it to them.

You might then say Donald Trump is just trying to get elected. I agree, but he is still doing something wrong that no one else is doing.

When you get a chance, check out his campaign website. You will find that he has an issues tab that contains a series of 14 videos explaining what he will do if elected president.

Rather than tell you what I think about the videos, I encourage you to watch what he says needs to be done (the ends) and then what he plans to do (the means).

If you still believe he can do what he says, there is not much more I can tell you.

But these videos are not just empty promises, they are deliberate efforts to create blame, stir fear and instill anger at different groups of people. They are efforts to scapegoat our Muslim and Hispanic communities.

Why a scapegoat? I don't think Donald Trump is angry, but he knows other people are. He resonates with them,and he uses their anger as a way to channel further support.

So if I am right in saying Trump is bad, why can't anyone knock him off his pedestal?

The way I see it, when you criticize Trump, you lose. In fact, you even help him. Your criticisms are simply redirected to fit into the larger narrative that is propelling him to prominence, that narrative being that he is a tough and successful go-getter that doesn't need your help in restoring America to greatness. You're just a thorn in his side - someone who is getting in the way. He dismisses you by eliciting fear, power and respect - and his voters love him for it.

Trump probably welcomes critics more than anyone else. The pursuit of power requires that you have enemies, and then you utterly defeat them. He needs victories, and he is getting them.

This is why I believe the potential ban on Donald Trump from the United Kingdom is a bad idea. It only fits further into the Trump story - the American people are strong enough to take on the world's problems alone, so who needs the British? Even the Pope questioning Trump's faith didn't work. After a Trump response, the Pope had to "clarify" what he meant. Some headline somewhere probably reads, "Donald Trump cowers to no one - not even the Pope!"

Criticism won't work on Donald Trump the way it works on other candidates. He's too good.

So what is to be done?

I am not an astute observer of campaign strategy, but I can't figure out for the life of me why we are not asking Donald Trump more questions about what exactly it is that he will do. Why are we not trying to expose the empty promises he is making? If he's forced to elaborate on the substance, the policy, the logistics and the plan necessary for how he promises to "Make America Great Again," he will defeat himself.

To defeat the Trump campaign, then, we need to talk to Trump voters. This is where it gets tricky.

Do not tell them Donald Trump is offering empty promises. They will never believe you. The ends are too good and he is too strong not to deliver.

Instead, inquire about Trump's means. Engage in thoughtful, pragmatic and genuine conversation with a voter and let him or her slowly recognize that the façade of Trump's means (remember, he doesn't have any!) are implausible in practice and inimical in theory.

They won't change their minds for you. Let them change their minds for themselves.

Or, you know, do whatever works! He needs to be stopped. His campaign is an anathema to the very fabric of an American political discourse that prides itself on a plethora of competing policy outlines meant to be discussed, debated and deliberated.

Tell me why Bernie's plan for immigration reform is good, or why Rubio should increase funding for vocational education. We should be talking about these policies.

But when we consider a Donald Trump policy, we are only left to debate meritless claims and empty promises. When we debate empty promises, we create empty discussion that is pernicious to the thoughtful, respectful and inclusive political dialogue so ingrained in our American tradition.

Donald Trump does not frighten me. Demagogues come and go. He is not the first, and he will not be the last. And any demagogue can be defeated with reason.

But reason can be twisted, and you will be tempted to believe it. If you do, then you have been played. Don't be played.