Dividend$, La Mia Cucina utilize touch screen technology

A student at Dividend$ dining hall located in the Farmer School of Business uses a self-checkout touch screen scanner.

Jessica Sink, Senior Staff Writer

A student at Dividend$ dining hall located in the Farmer School of Business uses a self-checkout touch screen scanner. (KATHRYN ANDERSON | The Miami Student)

Most students have seen or used the self-checkout services located in Wal-Mart, Kroger and other similar shopping centers, allowing customers to purchase several items quickly and efficiently, without relying on a cashier to complete transactions.

Systems like these are not just for shopping centers.

Self checkout systems are now in use at Dividend$, the dining option in the Farmer School of Business (FSB). Students can purchase items independently by using an automated touch screen which displays meal plans and payment preferences.

According to Michael Mitroi, associate director of dining and culinary services, this advance in dining technology is new to Miami University, as well as cutting-edge in the realm of college campuses across the nation.

Mitroi said the system works by using a one-barcode blueprint. This involves a label that is printed and placed on customized items and can be scanned by students at the self-checkout stations.

"We were looking for a way to become more efficient and provide faster service to students," Mitroi said. "We are very proud of how the technology has worked so far. We are hoping to eventually expand its use to the other dining services on campus."

Mitroi said around 75 to 80 percent of student customers use the self checkout in Dividend$.

The innovative technology in use at the FSB has been successful not only with student customers, but also with the staff. While the self checkout option still requires supervision from staff in case of complications, Mitroi said the easy-to-use screen allows students to scan their items without the requirement of staff intervention.

Marijo Nootz, senior director of Shriver Center, said the option of implementing self-checkout services in Shriver has been considered, but would occur over time due to the enormity of the task.

"It would be pretty complicated because every item has to have a barcode and there are many more food options here at Shriver," Nootz said. "It's possible that it eventually will happen because it certainly would make services more efficient, but it would take a lot of time to implement."

First-year Jaimee Johnson, a zoology major, enjoys eating at Dividend$ where she has the self-checkout option.

"It's nice because you have control over the transaction process," Johnson said. "It's very efficient and I love it."

With help from Information Technology Services, the touch screen devices are continually being updated and will hopefully get a facelift soon with new graphics and customized applications.

"These systems have performed tremendously, but we're all about improvement," Mitroi said.

Mitroi said that the system that was once in use at La Mia Cucina was a completely different operating system than the one that is in use at Dividends. The U-Scan system in use at FSB is by a company called Micros and that is the system that is being updated.

"When we opened La Mia (Cucina) it happened to be a time when we were changing over the sale equipment," Mitroi said.

Mitori said that there was never a touch screen option at La Mia Cucina.

Mitroi said that they have just received two new kiosks that will be put into place in the Scoreboard Market and Erikson Dining Hall. These will be touch screens on metal stands that will display menus for the day along with nutritional information about the food. He says that he believes these kiosks are the first of many that will eventually be at all dining areas.