Democrats must offer their own plan for war in Iraq

Nick D'Amico, Senior Staff Writer

In the past few months, the attitude of American politicians and the public toward the Iraq war has been decidedly negative - and rightfully so. Sectarian violence shows no signs of decreasing and the Iraqi government additionally shows no signs of living up to its promises of political compromise and internal security. One bright spot did appear last week in the confirmation of Lt. Gen. David Petraeus as the new commander of U.S. military forces in Iraq. Petraeus garnered widespread bipartisan praise from the Senate Armed Services Committee, which wished him the best in his endeavor to stabilize Iraq. Unfortunately, the same Democrats who praised Petraeus quickly passed a nonbinding resolution undermining him.

The resolution declares President Bush's plan to increase troop levels in Iraq as not in the national interest of the United States and further calls for an appropriately expedited timetable under which to remove troops. The resolution has no force of law and is symbolic opposition to Bush's plan. Also, Petraeus specifically mentioned the resolution during his confirmation hearing, questioning its value and cautioning that the mixed messages being sent would simply embolden sectarian militias to further violence to more quickly drive out U.S. troops.

Certainly, President Bush's troop surge is not the only policy option for Iraq, nor is it necessarily the best policy option. But, it is the only plan for Iraq being offered by any policymakers right now. Democrats, who claimed that their congressional gains were due primarily to their opposition and criticism of the war, refuse to offer an alternative strategy for U.S. forces in Iraq, let alone offer plans to withdraw, which they claim most Americans want. This is in effect an implicit approval of staying the course with the status quo, which (as the Democrats so vociferously point out) is the worst policy option of them all.

Status quo Iraq policy is shown to be unsuccessful. But every time President Bush asks for alternative plans, Democrats scorn him. Bush accepted criticism of his plan for Iraq but then challenged lawmakers to come up with an alternative for the United States. Democrats answered with their nonbinding resolution. It is a waste of legislative time and would be better spent debating actual policy options for Iraq.

Both the president and Congress must come to the realization that before progress can be made in Iraq, the U.S. must begin to speak with one voice as to its policy intentions, not many different voices. The surge has potential, especially with Petraeus at the helm of the operation (Petraeus helped draft the new counterinsurgency field manual), but could very well require even more troops then called for. Other options besides the surge should be explored, including more diplomatic efforts in conjunction with troop increases to even debating plans for a complete and immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

Democrats are essentially asking troops to keep dying in Iraq not because they think the mission is winnable or worthwhile, but because it will help them maintain public support and win elections. This is an unacceptable and abhorrent stance that does not solve the problems of Iraq. Democrats need to stop worrying about their political futures and must begin to craft policy alternatives for the U.S. in Iraq. And President Bush must in turn be ready to listen to the new Congressional majority on how to go forward with one voice on U.S. policy there.