Debates begin for student body elections

Catherine Couretas, Editor in Chief

Tuesday night will be a landmark in election history, as the first debate for student body elections will take place in Hall Auditorium in order to have more space for students to get up close with the candidates.

Jonathan McNabb, student body president, said this debate would be a good opening for candidates to start discussing their platforms.

"You're able to see from their answers how engaged they've been and how passionate they are about the positions they're running for," McNabb said.

Ryan Horvath, candidate for student body president, agreed.

"It's a great way for each candidate to be given the time and fully explain what they're thinking for the future," Horvath said.

Horvath said it was key for students to attend.

"It involves them (students) as much as it involves the people that are running," Horvath said. "Each one of these positions will be representing students."

Heath Ingram, candidate for student body president, agreed.

"It's very important for students to voice their concerns to candidates," Ingram said. "It's important for them to assess who they think is the most qualified individual for the position."

McNabb said the venue change was important. Previously, the first debate was held in a Williams Hall studio where only 30 or 40 students could attend in addition to the production crew recording the debate.

"We wanted to really open it up and have people see the candidates one on one," McNabb said.

Ingram thought Hall Auditorium was a better venue for the debate as well.

"It provides more accessibility for more students," Ingram said.

McNabb said last year there was also much less advertising and this year a Facebook.com event has been created for the debate and students have been handing out flyers as well.

"People are just getting understanding that a race is going on," McNabb said.

The debate will take place at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 23 in Hall Auditorium. It will include candidates for vice president of campus activities, vice president of student organizations, student body vice president and student body president.

Associated Student Government, The Miami Student, the Miami Television Network and WMSR are sponsoring the event.

A second debate will be held in a Town Hall format in Williams Hall on March 31, time TBA.

Student body elections will take place April 8.