Dangerous drinking is a college problem, not a Greek one

By Carly Berndt, For The Miami Student

berndtcn@miamioh.edu

Earlier this year, I wrote an article in this paper in reaction to what, at the time, seemed like excessive suspensions of fraternity chapters on our campus. The suspension occurred for reasons that were deemed, by an overwhelming majority of our student body, to be unfit when compared to the consequences.

Earlier in the year, these suspensions seemed not only to be unjustifiable, but also unbelievable. Fraternities were essentially being suspended for being fraternities. However, in light of recent events, I would like to retract my previous statement and analysis of the Interfraternity Council's (IFC) actions earlier this academic year.

This is not because I believe that I misspoke on the issue, but rather because I truly did not think such a level of unnecessary measures would actually be taken.

For those of you who are unaware of what I am rambling about, the SparkNotes version is that IFC has suspended all pledging activity, demanding that all pledges be initiated by this Friday - due to both allegations of hazing and underage drinking and records of hospitalization.

It's a sad day when someone is hospitalized for drinking too much - it's scary, unhealthy and bad press if and when the news gets out.

In a perfect world, we would all be responsible enough so the fine line between McCullough-Hyde's emergency room and simply puking in a dorm bathroom or a bush somewhere wouldn't be so fine.

Unfortunately, the world is not perfect, and people - college kids, especially - are going to drink too much. Blaming our fraternity men is not the answer to the age-old question, "How much Fireball can I pull from this handle before I piss my own bed?"

Not only is IFC actively forcing these chapters to abandon their own values by making them initiate pledges who, having only received their bids roughly a month ago and could not possibly understand what the values of their newfound brotherhood are. IFC is also perpetuating a double-standard against men.

If a girl, Greek or non-Greek, walked into a fraternity party and became so intoxicated that she had to go to the hospital, and at the hospital said she was at "X frat house," that fraternity house would be paying the consequences for this girl not understanding how much she can or cannot drink.

For argument's sake, let's say that girl was a member of Y sorority and it became known that she was a member of that group. By the standards that have been set and acted upon, that sorority would also have to be punished.

But that doesn't happen. X fraternity is put on some sort of social probation or suspension, and that girl will probably black out on Tuesday.

In addition to the double-standard in terms of gender that IFC's actions perpetuate, they are also feeding into a huge cultural issue in our society and, more specially, among our generation. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own screw up.

If someone goes to a party and drinks too much and gets sick and needs help, that is the fault of the person who drank too much, regardless of gender or Greek status.

I have been to my fair share of fraternity parties, and no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to drink - or do anything else for that matter.

It makes me sad that so many brothers are losing the chance to enter a strong brotherhood for reasons that appear to be rooted in bad press and an inability to take responsibility in the actions of individuals.

These young men pledge these fraternities because they want to be a part of them and, as I stated in my article earlier this year, if I know what they're getting themselves into, I promise you they do, too.

IFC is taking the easy way out of what is a non-issue. It makes me sad to see what has been, and still is, a really strong way to build brotherhood among men dismantled for reasons that are caused much less by being in a fraternity and much more by being in college.