Dalai Lama visit sparks concern for Chinese students

Kristen Grace, Senior Staff Writer

Controversy accompanied His Holiness the Dalai Lama during his visit as a result of tensions between China and Tibet.

Students have approached school administrators and student representatives with concerns about the value of their degrees in China after the Dalai Lama's visit.

Student Body President Heath Ingram was approached by two students worried about the status of the university upon hearing the University of Calgary in Canada lost its accreditation in China after hosting the Dalai Lama.

"There is a nervousness among the student body that something like this could possibly happen to Miami University," Ingram said.

According to David Keitges, director of international education, the University of Calgary's loss of accreditation in China was because it chose to award an honorary doctorate on the 60th anniversary of the People's Republic of China.

He said no American universities have seen any such repercussions for hosting the Dalai Lama. On his current trip, the Dalai Lama has also visited Stanford University and Emory University.

"If the Chinese government or others are going to cause a problem for someone, we think it would have happened before now," Keitges said.

Despite the controversy, Claire Wagner, associate director of university communications, said the Dalai Lama's visit to Miami is extremely important.

"I hope that everyone who hears the Dalai Lama feels the peace, the inner peace that he has, that they hear a message that helps them to think considerably about themselves and about the world," Wagner said. "I think that's part of the message that he's giving out."

She said what happened to the University of Calgary did not impact the decision to give His Holiness an honorary degree.

"We're bringing the Dalai Lama to campus because he is a cultural leader," Wagner said.

Keitges said students concerned with the Dalai Lama's visit are critical because the Chinese government is critical, but many Chinese students were very interested in seeing the event.

"Not all Chinese students feel that way and many Chinese students welcome the opportunity," Keitges said.

He said some Chinese students approached him about meeting the Dalai Lama personally.

Keitges said it is valuable for Miami students to learn about the complexity of a culture and political situation they don't know much about, calling it a "premiere opportunity to learn about Asia."

Non-Chinese students are sensitive to this political issue. Junior Jared Horwitz attended the event and said he understands why Chinese students may be upset about the Dalai Lama's visit.

"I understand the problem Chinese students have with him and the risk Miami University is taking," Horwitz said. "Given that today isn't a significant one in Chinese culture, it's important that the Dalai Lama be able to come here and talk. It's important that students be able to hear an important world leader."

Keitges said bringing the Dalai Lama to campus is part of an effort by the university to "bring the world to Oxford."